Phoenix vs FumeFX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoenix vs FumeFX

To those that have tried both, how do they compare? Currently Phoenix is half the price of FumeFX but that'll even out next month. Thoughts?

First off, the only thing that Fume has that i am (currently?) missing is wavelet turbulence.

Here's in rather random order some things i dig about Phoenix:
    • Speed!
    • Simulation not locking the gui (similar to Realflow for example. Hit simulate, tweak params, move obstacles, navigate viewports, tweak preview settings, and the sim continues in the background)
    • Adaptive Grid features (grid following your sim during simulation. Fume only offers "smaller than initial grid" and post processing to conserve ram if i am not mistaken)
    • Mxs access (did a quick test creating boxes from the sim via mxs to create a pixel cloud...neat-o :P You have full mxs access for injecting fluid, setting channel values, getting channel values etc.)
    • Mapping features (To map temp, smoke etc with 3d textures, both init and during sim)
    • Texmap output (Phoenix texmap wich is a 3d texmap and can be used to output sim channels as 3d texmap. Example use: Rendering Phoenix using VRay's Environment fog, but there's loads of uses)
    • GPU preview
    • Displacement (yay, add detail and create crazy stuff by displacing your fluids)
    • heat haze
    • solid mode
    • 2D mode
    • Additional lights (places standard lightsources according to temperature/colour to create direct light based on fire)
    • Support for all my fav VRay features like GI, Lights etc (esp the domelight is killer to HDR light smoke/dust effects)

In addition i am confident that development will go faster than with Fume. Update frequency seemed really slow with Fume in my eyes. Tho that can't be told really yet.

Missing a bunch most likely...(as said on cgtalk already :P )

Regards,
    Thorsten
    Last edited by instinct; 13-08-2010, 02:51 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Working...
    X