X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daniel Craig as James Bond WIP

Hi there,

My first post in the forum

Here's my daniel Craig, still in wip, but maybe done at 75%. I need to polish everything and especially making proper cloth, for now it's just dummy.. that's why I tried to cut it short haha.

The hairs are done in Hairfarm, all the fur in fact and it's I make a custom hair shader, not using the Vray hair shader, I wanted true reflections

Done in 3dsmax 2013, for now the lighting is just a test, to see how the hairs look like.

enjoy

Click image for larger version

Name:	red hair1272 smaller.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	450.7 KB
ID:	877747

It feels a tiny bit harsh /sharp on the left eyelid under the eye but it's pretty perfect otherwise - can't fault your hair shader!

Comment

Yeah agree with Jo pretty nice. be cool to do a video breakdown of your workflow and post it alongside this
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI8TbG0-7QE
      Immersive media - design and production
      http://www.felixdodd.com/
      https://www.linkedin.com/in/felixdodd/

Comment

the rendering looks very realistic, congratulations!!!!.
        show me the money!!

Comment

nice work man! he seems a bit sweaty over all and on the camera left ear looks like it needs more SSS but the hair shader looks really good! how long was the render?
          PLAY
          www.kriscabrera.com
          kris@kriscabrera.com

Comment

wow, so realistic! great!!
            :: twitter :: Portfolio :: My 3D Products :: ...and ::

Comment

Fantastic, any chance of a making of...?

Comment

Hey Luc.. Nice to see you here

Good job, as usuall. your skin shader is really getting amazing. For the hair, the little gloss on the right side of image looks really nice, a little better than on the left side. The hair 'thiness' is also quite nice. Mr. Craig does seem to have really thin hair in real life.

So congrats, I mean, what else to say....

Ciao!

Alain
                Alain Blanchette
                www.pixistudio.com

Comment

Hi guys long time no post and thank's all for the kind comments

Thablanch : hey thank you man, sorry for the late reply.. Hope your doing well.

Here's an update on my craig, the last week I returned on it, tweaked a few things like the hairs,etc. and a new lighting. I did not work on it for months I was tired of seeing it haha, meanwhile I did a black head guy that I can't post for now but I will as soon as I can, and I just started a women nobody face... it's a breeze to do compared to do a celebrity

So here's are 3 slightly different light set up, let me know wich one you prefer, and also any idea for a nice bg ?

FORGET ABOUT THE CLOTH they are still dummy for now as you can see.. I want to finish the lighting and all and will do the cloths after.

the one with the bg is the latest one as you can see..

EDIT : By the way ,the compression is removing a LOT of details, the final one I will upload it differently..

Comment

I think it looks quite great so far. The only thing that bugs me is the hair render and fur... It really could use a lot more work to it. Atm I dont like it.
                    CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

Thank's DADAL.

What is for you great 3d renders of hairs ( and light hairs since Craig is light hairs, dark hairs are easy to render..) can you show me an exemple?

If not, what do you think is needed to push those hairs to the next level? To me I think cg hairs are just not there in term of realism now, I never seen blond hairs that look realistic, except with Lagoa render.

Comment

here's an update, with more bag under the eye

Comment

Heya

Sorry I dont have CGI example. But what I would suggest is to work with the model of haira bit more and above all filtering.
                          So things I would try to adjusts are - test different AA filters. See which one give the most accurate blend of pixels. I would expect gausian at 1.5-3.5 pixels. Maybe few others.
                          The model wise I'd work on randomizingh thickness a little bit. I think they should be around 25-50% thicker and around 10-30% more random thickness size.
                          I would definietly try not to hide hair in grain...
                          Hair on his chin has blue reflections or tint. I would get rid of that to be honest. Have you added general face hair pass ?
                          I'm not sure what kind of hair are you after but here is interesting reference. (yours looks to be dry hair where reference is modeled but still..)http://blogs.denverpost.com/style/fi.../154744093.jpg

Hope this can help you a little bit... Also left ear the little point... I'd smooth it down a little bit wayy to sharp when looking at the reference...

Comment

I already tested all the filter, and blackman is the best one for hairs combined with dmc sampler, here I was using area because it's not the final render it's just test render, at the final one, there will be no grains..

thickness of hairs is quite uniform on the whole head, except near the transition where the hairs are smaller, thinner, other then that, on real life, the hairs radius do not vary a lot, I made it at 20% variation in thickness.
                            I can try to make all the hairs more thick.. but 25% maybe ok but 50% sound huge to me.. hairs is quite thin in reality..
                            It has general hairs on the face, but it's subtil of course, like in reality, only in big close up you will see it on the nose for exemple.. the image is blurred cause of the compression so it's why we lost them I guess, but if you check on the side of his face you will see them.

The reference you send me, has totally a different lighting, it has many directional light, mine is more indirect light, so of course hairs shading will be less shiny. And even if I go for a full many directional light set up, I will, and no one will get hairs as realistic has the pic you send me.. hair shading in 3d renderer is just not there yet to make super realistic shading.

About the left ear I can make it a bit more smooth, it's maybe a 20% too angular.

Hairs on his chin, have blue reflection because the shirt is blue.... so the light is bouncing on his chin, wich is physically correct.. anyway for the final render I will put his shirt white.

Thank's

Comment

Heya

I well there is the problem of real live and CGI and photography. In order to make this more realistic you have to think like DSLR would think. U need to take in accommodation how well the light sensor will be able to pick details from hair and so on. In general I suggested thickening of hair because camera would at some parts merge hair together making it clumbs of hair(I'm talking about a medium quality camera, mark 2, not phase one I180, so the tad of blur and so on u also need to reproduce from model movement, depends if u do studio shhot or envi paparatzi). Atm you have very thin defined lines of hair. I know we get to see that when we look at other people but when you take picture you will see a lot of camera processes damaging the details. Its something I'm suggesting to do with gausian filter and possibly thickening the hair.

Can you change lighting and show us how the model would look like in more spot lighting? Or show us the lighting reference you are basing your model shaders and details on ? I think it would help understand it better - me at least. Also another option is can u try adaptive subdivision 1/2 sampling. I find it quite good in certain cases to reproduce camera issues.

Regarding chin... well I think its too reflective in this case. I just cant remember seeing that look on any1 hair in reality...

Comment

Working...
                              X