GPU rendering for SU ... VfR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPU rendering for SU ... VfR?

Gratulation for the SU release, sounds great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bjMoySeQGE

Now I'm curious - doe's it mean that it could be possible for VfR too?

Micha
    www.simulacrum.de ... visualization for designer and architects

And if yes ... when it will be ready?!?!?

Thanks

Comment

Hi Guys
      We are going to have GPU render in Rhino. So, Yes. Actually, I'm playing with it right now.

Fernando

Comment

Sounds good. I looked around at the RT forum and it looks like GPU rendering isn't something for final rendering so much. Fernando, what do you think, if someone is using a highend PC, is the GPU render a way to render faster? Doe's the GPU work together with the CPU or can be used only one way - CPU or GPU?

Comment

Hi Micha
          I have a pretty nice computer here and I my test GPU is way faster than the production render. However at this point the GPU have several unsupported features. For example Environment per materials, photo-mapped caustics, V-Ray dirt and other effect that should happening after the render pass. But if you don't need those features the GPU could be very useful an extremely fast rendering solution. We are very excited here with all the new stuff that are introducing in V-Ray for Rhino.

Comment

I'm very curious.

So GPU brute force rendering can be faster than IM+LC CPU rendering? Will CPU and GPU work together?

Comment

Hi Micha
              In my test (simple scene) yes, GPU is faster than the regular production render using Irr Map + LC. I'm not sure if I understand the second question, but you can not combine RT CPU with RT GPU. You will have three option on the RT setting: 1. CPU, 2. OpenCL (GPU) and 3. CUDA (GPU).

Comment

The second question was because I use a Dual Xeon with 32cores and I ask me, what the GPU could do at my system.

I have seen there is a benchmark thread for GPU. Do you know a page where GPU and CPU are compared? I ask me what kind of card would be faster than the 32 cores. I'm very curious now ...

Comment

Hi Fernando,
                  this is great news!
                  I tried Octane, a pure GPU-CUDA, rendering system, and doesn't look so good if you can't afford a 2.000Euros graphic card.

My question is: what cpu and video card are you testing?
                  Are so fast also with middle class video card?

Thanks.

Comment

Hi Guys
                    The second question was because I use a Dual Xeon with 32cores and I ask me, what the GPU could do at my system.

I have seen there is a benchmark thread for GPU. Do you know a page where GPU and CPU are compared? I ask me what kind of card would be faster than the 32 cores. I'm very curious now ...
                    I'm sorry Mica, but I don't know a page where CPU is compare with GPU. I had tested GPU is some product rendering and in couples interior. I could tell you, in the case of the product, I could have a noise free render in less than 5 sec.
                    In the interior shot, I could have a good feedback to be able to make decision in term of the materials, camera and illumination is less 10 sec. The interior render is a bit noise, but I have 2sided material, glossiness, refractive and refractive material, etc.
                    RT GPU and CPU could be use as the final render in certain occasion and in other you will have to use the production render. But definitely RT could be part of your daily workflow. It is in my case.

Here is a GPU test. This is the result after 5 sec. (model from grabcad.com)
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	After_5sec_Test.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	849958

Of course, the GPU performer will depends of your hardware.
                    Last edited by fpedrogo; 19-09-2013, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Thank you for the example, looks promising. What card did you use?

Comment

These are the video cards that have been tested.
                        nVidia GeForce 680 GTX;
                        nVidia GeForce 580 GTX;
                        nVidia GeForce 590 GTX;
                        nVidia GeForce 570;
                        nVidia GeForce 480 GTX;
                        nVidia Tesla C2050;
                        nVidia Quadro 2000M;

I have pretty nice video cards. I have two Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan.

Comment

Hi Micha
                          This is the interior after 30 sec. As I said, proxies, 2 sided materials, glossiness, dispersion, sun, physical camera, map on the reflection, etc.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	int_after30sec.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	849961

Comment

Should a GTX285 work? I decided me for this card because it's one of the last good GTX for the old Rhino OpenGL display pipeline. I would like to use it for the first GPU render tests, later I would look for an other card for rendering. I tried the 285 today, but had no luck.

Comment

Working...
                            X