Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Downloading Vray 2.0 through Chaos Group website?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downloading Vray 2.0 through Chaos Group website?

Hi

As I understand it you now have to purchase a "psycical" product to get hold of vray 2.0? (dongle)
    Last edited by silverwingsltd; 16-09-2013, 09:41 AM.
    AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X 16-core CPU @ 3.50GHz 64GB RAM Vray Next 3DS MAX 2020

I'm also confused about this - I hope someone answers.

My questions -
    Do you need a dongle for V-Ray 2.0?
    Is it mailed to you? How long does it take to arrive?
    The website says the dongle is not node locked. Does that mean you can move it from computer to computer?
    The website also says Prices do not include dongle / VAT / shipping. Does that imply that there's a additional price for the dongle?
    Last question - if a dongle is damaged or lost what is the replacement cost? I've never used a dongle before so I'd like to know what's involved before I upgrade.

Comment

I'm not in any way affiliated with Chaos, but I can answer a couple of the above questions:

Yes, a physical dongle (hardware key) is required to run VfSU 2.0.

It is not node locked so it can be moved from computer to computer.

/Jackson
      SU 2018 + VfSU 4.0

Comment

Yes, with V-Ray 2.0 for SketchUp you will need to purchase a dongle. In general the dongle costs $35 USD but additional charges like shipping and VAT can apply. It's best to verify the cost and shipping details of the dongle with your local reseller though. The price and shipping times of a dongle vary from reseller to reseller.

For those of you that qualify for the free upgrade you will still need to order a dongle from your local reseller. To process an upgrade you'll just need to send an email to our sales team (sales.software@chaosgroup.com) to initiate the reprogramming of your dongle.

One major advantage of the new dongle licensing system is that if you have a dongle from a previous V-Ray purchase you can use that same dongle for V-Ray 2.0 for SketchUp. When you order V-Ray 2.0 for SketchUp and you already have a dongle be sure to let your reseller know that you already have a dongle. In fact, to streamline the process provide them with the serial number of your dongle when placing the order.

Dongles can be moved from computer to computer. However, keep in mind that you will also need to have the V-Ray license server installed on the computer that you want to use the dongle on. You can get more details about installation, licensing and dongle reprogramming from http://help.chaosgroup.com/vray/help...ensingvray.htm.

If your dongle gets damaged or you lose it you will need to contact software.sales@chaosgroup.com. Our sales team will review the situation and get you back up and running as quickly as possible. The good news is that it's very rare for a dongle to fail.
        Best regards,

Corey Rubadue
        Director

Chaos Group

Comment

Hi guys,

I personally find the 'dongle' thing such a drag that I will not upgrade version 2. As I am living in Thailand (koh Samui Isalnd) and normally order my software online in The Netherlands (where I am from) I would get the dongle send to my parents or friends address in The Netherlands and ask them to take it with them when they come over because the postal system in Thailand is not the most reliable and I can not afford the risk to have it get lost or damaged on the way over...also not knowing how long this might take.

Reading that other V-ray users run into quite a bit of trouble getting there software to run and co-work this other applications I get the feeling of taking a big risk just being able to continue working with my 'work' without running the risk of being absorbed with installation problems and loosing access to my software & workflow (= income).

-Jeri-
          | V-Ray 1.49.01 | SketchUp Pro 2013 | 27" iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 | 8GB RAM | 2GB AMD Radeon HD 6970M |

Comment

While having a physical dongle to ship certainly makes things more complicated, we have found that in the long term it makes things easier for everyone. This is especially true, if for whatever reason, you need to reinstall your software or to move it to another machine - there's no waiting for emails, fiddling with online licensing systems etc.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
            X