Vray dirt radius with texture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray dirt radius with texture

If you find time to add this little feature.
    In Vray (for max), we can set a B&W texture in the radius channel of the Vray Dirt texture.
    It helps a lot for randomize the Vraydirt output and use it as mask to place other map (like water mark, age mark etc).

Thanks,

boby

Re: Vray dirt radius with texture

Sorry for double post, but i was searching for reference image that show the power of this tips.

http://www.brandsareopinions.com/wp-...01/00doves.png

Here you can see the effect of combining a B&W image (like this : http://slodive.com/wp-content/upload...b-w-grunge.jpg ) with a dirt texture radius channel.

The effect is more visible on the wall, but it's use more or less everywhere on the image (doing a great job combine with the "standart" Uv texturing).

boby

Comment

Haven't you tried to use Dirt as a stencil texture? I think this will do the trick.
      V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
      andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
      Support Request

Comment

hum.. not sure i understand..
        If you mean :
        - use directly Vray Dirt texture as stencil : That's what i want but i need variation in this stencil (texture input in radius do it).
        - Use an image texture in "occlude" channel of the Vray Dirt texture : The result is really different (tilling of the texture is really visible by doing that)

boby

Comment

hum.. not sure i understand..
          Sry, it was me =) Misses "radius" keyword... Ok, its not a problem to add it.
          Support Request

Comment

Done, you could try it.
            Support Request

Comment

=D Thanks a lot !!

Just to show you why i was asking for that feature. That's the effect in 2 click

Next i'll use this as mask beetween wall texture and dirt (image) texture = lot of randomness with 4 click ! Amazing.

Comment

I really like the texturing result.
                Is there any chance, you could explain a bit how you did this, I never worked with Vray Dirt texturing.

Thx

Comment

well, i ll try to make a small todo,

Todo:

- add a Vraydirt texture (Dirt1)
                  - add an image texture of dirt in B&W (like this one for example : http://www.sharecg.com/images/medium/2832.jpg). Aspect of this texture will affect a lot the result, just test some texture and find the good one
                  - put this image in the Vray dirt texture radius (you have to update your exporter to get this feature)
                  - don't forget to desactivate your image texture (set the mapping to Uv and unwrap your model quickly with smart Uv. You can also map it in object mod)
                  - Voila !

If you wan't advance controle you can :

- add a new Vray dirt texture : Dirt2 (and desactivate the old one)
                  - set Dirt1 in occlude color of dirt2. It allows you to limite the random scale of the first radius with a manual radius while keeping the randomness of Dirt1
                  - Modifying B&W balance of the texture works too. It's a bit longer but result is better (cause you keep the hard edges of your B&W texture).

You can simply use the result as a multiply for your wall shader (for example).

For advanced texturing, you can :
                  - put a colored dirt image texture in the dirst1 's occlude channel
                  or (better)
                  - use directly the result of dirt2 as stencil beetween 2 shaders (rust and metal is a really good example for this technique).

Hope you understand.. sorry for my english

boby

Comment

Thanks for your quick reply, I'll give it a try this week.
                    Cheers

Comment

Hi guys, the effect is great! Hope to achieve similar result today to what Boby presented.

-Andrey, what is the maximum value of radius when it is "texture driven"? Is it scalable? In large scene where I need a radius of 60, after linking white/gray texture I just get thin line - not dirt..

-Boby, could you share the scene with material/texture structure, please? I cannot reproduce the "edgy" effect of the dirt that is formed on the outlines of the box. My dirt is also much more blurry..

Comment

Not sure, need research, may be we could add additional multipliers.
                        Support Request

Comment

Would be cool..
                          By now I recommend using maps converted to hdr - the efect of "overexposure" gives multiplied dirt radius in scene.
                          It 100% solved the problem in my cases..

Comment

Hi !

Sorry, i'm a bit late
                            I don't have the blend but you can reproduce it easily with the todo.

In order to control the "radius texture" you have multiple choice. The best is to use a standart dirt as stencil for your "driven dirt".
                            You can add another texture in the occluded/unoccluded chan of the stencil dirt (the standart) to break the smoothness of the blend.

Hope i'm clear

boby

Comment

Hi

For me it is not work, or I do not understand something. Does it not suppous to work like here

"In the next example a bitmap is used in the texmap radius slot. Notice that the main radius parameter
                              still has effect - it determines the amout of area where the texmap radius bitmap would blend."

It is from http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150S...s_vraydirt.htm example 6.

But when I am seting radius map, it overides radius param.

edit

I made a test render to display what I mean

Middle one something is the geometry without radius map, just dirt (0.1 radius)

left one dirt (0.1 radius) with radius map

and as far as i understand everything should look like on the right one geometry.

Comment

Working...
                              X