Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ideas on making V-Ray's sampling UI more intuitive.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas on making V-Ray's sampling UI more intuitive.

This idea was born from the Understanding DMC Sampler thread - the issue came to my attention when reading through and seeing how many users (including myself at first) were having difficulty understanding how to optimize their render quality / time. It's clear that moving beyond the universal 1min / 100max AA V-Ray settings often yields the best results... but it can be very unclear (especially to newer users) exactly how to do it.

As V-Ray is now:
    • The Image Sampler's (AA) min/max completely dictates how many samples the DMC Sampler takes of a scene.
    • The higher the Image Sampler's min/max values becomes, the lower the DMC sampler min/max becomes until you quickly reach only 1 DMC sample taken per AA sample.
    • Because of this connection between the Image Sampler and DMC Sampler, you run into many instances where trying to control the DMC Sampler through various values throughout your scene ( subdivs / adaptive amount / min samples / global subdivs mult ) ends up having no effect on the resulting render - especially with higher AA values. This often makes optimizing the DMC sampler difficult and unintuitive.

In example: A user has their scene's AA set to 1 min / 25 max, and in their render they're getting a somewhat noisy glossy reflection. So they up that material's subdivs from 8 to 16 thinking that might help clear up the noise - but under the hood of V-Ray, going from 8 to 16 (or even 20, or 25) makes no difference to the resulting render since this DMC value gets divided down to just 1 sample taken per AA sample. The user gets confused as to why increasing the value seems to have had no effect and has to resort to the documentation / forums... It's unintuitive.

So while we directly set the min/max of the Image Sampler (AA) for our scene, we only have indirect control over the DMC Sampler.
    What I believe would be more ideal is for users to be able to set their Image Sampler (AA) according to scene requirements, and then be able to tune the DMC sampler in a logical and intuitive way - yielding the best possible render times and quality. What I had in mind as a solution would be this UI mockup:

So here V-Ray would have only 6 values to globally control all sampling:

Image Sampler (AA):
    Min / Max / Color Threshold

DMC Sampler:
    Min / Max / Noise Threshold

Along with those 6 values, there are 3 buttons in between the Image Samples and DMC Samples columns:
    • When either of the first two buttons are ENABLED - the DMC subdivs value gets divided by the Image subdivs value. (Old V-Ray behavior)
    • When either of the first two buttons are DISABLED - the samples are taken as is - no division of values occurs. The Image Sampler and DMC Sampler are no longer linked.
    • The last of the 3 buttons simply links the color threshold to the noise threshold.

Furthermore, underneath the sampler values is a box that provides direct feedback as to how many samples will be taken per pixel of your scene according to the current settings.
    Here's an example of what happens in the feedback box when one of the division buttons is enabled (it shows you the new resulting DMC samples amount):

With this setup we're given direct control over both the Image Sampler (AA) and the DMC Sampler.
    All settings regarding sampling are directly shown to the user in a logical, intuitive, clear and uncluttered way.
    Possibly confusing values like adaptive amount / min samples / etc are eliminated.
    And most importantly - there's no longer instances where raising or lowering a value makes no difference to the resulting render.

Now all that's left to do is replace the Subdivs values found in lights / gi / materials with a simple Multiplier value that defaults to 1.0
    If you need more samples in any specific place, raise the multiplier accordingly. Double the multiplier = double the samples.
    Again - intuitive and logical - always having the expected effect.

Below is a mockup of the Material Editor, where the old DMC Subdivs value is now replaced with a Samples Multiplier value which just multiplies whatever your global DMC min / max values are.
    Also next to the multiplier value is a box that gives you direct feedback as to how your multiplier currently relates to the global DMC min / max values:

Here is an example of when the reflection multiplier is changed from 1.0 to 2.0:

Good idea? Terrible idea? It's been kicking around in my head while waiting for renders to finish up. I'm sure there's still room for improvement, but I'd be interested to hear what the user base thinks of it.
    As an added bonus - I think older V-Ray scenes could be opened and translated into this new sampling setup with a bit of math... and hopefully render very closely to how they did before.

Hope that all makes sense - let me know if anything needs clarifying!
    Last edited by RockinAkin; 04-12-2013, 10:15 PM.
    Akin Bilgic | CGGallery.com
    Modeler & Generalist TD

V-Ray Render Optimization
    V-Ray DMC Calculator

admin@masteringcgi.com.au

----------------------
    Mastering CGI
    CGSociety Folio
    CREAM Studios
    Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

This would be awesome!

Stan
      3LP Team

Comment

This sounds great!
        Cheers,
        Oliver

https://www.artstation.com/mokiki

Comment

I am game with this idea.

Comment

Does it make sense to have two buttons for the division of the samples (min/max)? Is there ever a case where you would want them in different states?

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Also another question; how would the irradiance map fit into this? Importance sampling (that depends on the material reflectance, light brightness etc)?

Best regards,
              Vlado
              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

This looks great to me. Seems a very logical approach where you can see the impact of tweaking a value. I do find it crazy at the moment that changing values can have little/no effect on end results. I just about understand it myself, but trying to explain it to other members of my team is difficult.
                Kind Regards,
                Richard Birket
                ----------------------------------->
                http://www.blinkimage.com

Comment

Originally posted by grantwarwick View Post
                  Brilliant response. An image says a thousand words!! lol.
                  Kind Regards,
                  Richard Birket
                  http://www.blinkimage.com

Comment

I have to say that I like that approach. Would need some time to get used to it, but I think it would be an improvement.
                    https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

I am for any kind of change that would bring more light in the topic, so this is very welcome activity Thanks!!!

BUT

whatever is implemented in the end, it MUST be well explained and documented on sample in the VRAY online manual so everyone understands.

plus....i would really love vray UI to have explanations like CORONA has....very simple to understand!
                      Martin
                      http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                        Also another question; how would the irradiance map fit into this?
                        Would it work with the multiplier on just the subdivs?
                        Rens Heeren
                        Generalist
                        WEBSITE - IMDB - LINKEDIN - OSL SHADERS

Comment

Definitely in favour of the little box telling you the 'real' subdivs in the materials etc.

Comment

Grant - HAHAHAHAHA that pic made my day! Couldn't have asked for a better first response.

Vlado - Yes, good point! It can be simplified further to just have one button to control connection between Image Sampler and DMC Sampler. As for the Irradience Map and Important Sampling - why would they be affected? I don't pretend to know enough about how they work under the hood to say how to best approach it, maybe you can provide some insight? But since only the UI for sampling has changed - couldn't the older values still be figured out based on what the new values are set to. I'm sure an ideal solution can be found!

PIXELBOX_SRO - Yes, good documentation is always important. I'd personally like a tool-tip to come up when you hover over the middle sampler buttons explaining exactly what they do as well.

Great to hear the positive responses thus far!
                            Akin Bilgic | CGGallery.com
                            Modeler & Generalist TD

V-Ray Render Optimization
                            V-Ray DMC Calculator

Comment

i have to second this, even if i dont know when we will have Vray 3 here. "Making the Complicated Simple" is always welcome!

Comment

Working...
                              X