Crop doesnt work with VFB render region

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crop doesnt work with VFB render region

I noticed that when I use the the VFB render region, choosing the rendering region with the red square, Vray will revert to the original rendering size, ignoring 3DSMax crop settings and thus rendering in a different region that I wanted to select in the framebuffer. which makes either crop or the VFB render region unusable without cumbersome readjustments every time I switch between the two. I would like to use the vray render region along with 3DS Max crop ... and I think it was possible at some point in the past..

I am on Vray 3.05.07
    Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
    www.AddYourLight.com
    Always looking to learn, become better and serve better.

No, it was never possible. The VFB region essentially replaces the 3ds Max "region" mode. They are not applied together.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I've run into several situations where it would have been nice if they worked together. Any chance of having that feature in the future?
      Software:
      Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
      3ds Max 2016 SP4
      V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
      Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40 GHz
      NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (4096MB RAM)
      64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

I see.

Here is a workflow that I will often encounter:

I have my camera film size and within that a safe frame in which my clients decides his composition. Sometimes we need more of that frame, sometimes less. And so in the end I only render out a crop. Since we work on that crop in Photoshop it is essential to always have the same rendering size so to be able to just drag the rendered image and have it in place.
        But of course sometimes I need to test some smaller sections within that crop and for that I would like to use the VFB render region. I dont have the option to change the 3DSMax crop settings because of the drag-and-drop condition I described. But always rendering the whole image is a waste of time and resources and using the whole view in 3DSMax and then just using VFB render region is also a waste, because I wouldnt need the whole view in the first place and there is no option to save the VFB render region, is there?

I hope you understand the workflow and maybe you can adress it?
        Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
        www.AddYourLight.com

Comment

You could do that with texture-render mask instead of region render - just paint a quick black and white mask in photoshop and load it as a render mask.
          Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
          Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

That's indeed a good workaround. BUt it's also that. A workaround.
            Software:
            Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
            3ds Max 2016 SP4
            V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
            Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40 GHz
            NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (4096MB RAM)
            64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

Originally posted by svetlozar_draganov View Post
              You could do that with texture-render mask instead of region render - just paint a quick black and white mask in photoshop and load it as a render mask.

Good point! Thanks for the reminder of the new features I will do that from now on.
              BUT I have to say just drawing the render region in the VFB would be most convenient. Or maybe include the texture-render-mask into the VFB? That would be fabulous!
              Shall I write a feature request for that?
              www.AddYourLight.com

Comment

Yes you could do that in Wishlist section:
                http://forums.chaosgroup.com/forumdi...s-Max-Wishlist
                Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
                Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Working...
                X