255, 255, 255 White

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 255, 255, 255 White

What are you guys using for white? My current scene is an all white house and to keep things from blowing out I have my white down to 200,200, 200. Has anyone had to go this low? Typically I keep my whites at 210, 210, 210
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

I never go above 220, but mostly try something between 190 and 200. You will also get better contrast with darker materials than what we were use to in the days of scanline and nothing having fresnel reflections.

If you're getting extreme times, one of the culprits could be your whites, which is a HUGE issue for light cache

From the help docs:
    "Do not apply perfectly white or very close to white materials to a majority of the objects in the scene, as this will cause excessive render times. This is because the amount of reflected light in the scene will decrease very gradually and the light cache will have to trace longer paths. Also avoid materials that have one of their RGB components set to maximum (255) or above."
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Comment

What's your glossy setting on that white?
      Kind Regards,
      Morne

Comment

Okay. So, 200 is normal.
        Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com
        e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
        phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
        • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
        • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Yep, white office paper reflects about 80% to 90% of the light back, that would be an RGB value of roughly 200 to 225 for the diffuse. That could be your top benchmark as there aren't many common materials out there that reflect more.
          Rens Heeren
          Generalist
          WEBSITE - IMDB - LINKEDIN - OSL SHADERS

Comment

235 here, but that's only for diffuse. I am fine with using 255 elsewhere such as reflection, etc.
            Check out my (rarely updated) blog @ http://macviz.blogspot.co.uk/

www.robertslimbrick.com

Cache nothing. Brute force everything.

Comment

I use white at 200 generally. I find it easier to boost brightness and contrast in post, so my raw renders nearly always look slightly under exposed.

Dean

Comment

Working...
              X