Determining correct falloff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave_Wortley View Post
    Doesn't appear to be anything in the material Library....
    Ops, sorry about that. Try again

Comment

Originally posted by Wobi View Post
      Hey Rens,

I didn't mean to offend you. So no need to feel sorry. Anyway, what I think would be nice to have would be something like this:
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]23937[/ATTACH]

It's a mix of setting artist-friendly 0-Degree-Color and the UI of the Arch&Design-Material. So you can visualize the curve right away, while still not having to work with these unfriendly output-curve of max.
      Of course, this is just a 5-Minute PhotoShop-UI and lacks many other aspects, e.g. setting n+k values. But this woud speed up working with these curves and color values for me.
      Maybe something like this could be implemented with a mix of scripted texturemap, OSL-Shader and Dotnet-UI... but well... I'm drifting away...

PS: the values in there don't make sense... just a photoshop-quickie as I said...
      Looks great to me.
      I too, feel stupid reading this thread but I'll make sure to link to viscorbels post and this thread when explaining in a later lesson.
      Cheers guys for clearing all this up!
      admin@masteringcgi.com.au

----------------------
      Mastering CGI
      CGSociety Folio
      CREAM Studios
      Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

Anyone feeling benevolent enough to do a post here detailing the conclusion and best methodology? I'm ashamed to admit I'm not sure after re-reading multiple times.

Comment

Originally posted by Deflaminis View Post
          Anyone feeling benevolent enough to do a post here detailing the conclusion and best methodology? I'm ashamed to admit I'm not sure after re-reading multiple times.
          Don't be ashamed, I got lost in there too
          A.

---------------------
          www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

There doesn't seem to be one ideal one just yet, the osl stuff will let you use refractive index data *but* it's not the most intuitive to tweak with and the data will only give you matches for one specific sample of a metal which may not match yours - you won't get artistic control afterwards. The falloff / mapped gradient stuff will give you more tweakability afterwards but it means a bit more setup. I reckon someone'll probably throw together a better OSL map that has all the bits combined similar to that ui concept posted.

Comment

I'm talking to Autodesk to see if we can't get a linear Falloff map, but well, don't hold your breath!
              Maxscript made easy....
              davewortley.wordpress.com
              Follow me here:
              facebook.com/MaxMadeEasy

If you don't MaxScript, then have a look at my blog and learn how easy and powerful it can be.

Comment

Get them to do a proper colour correct while they're at it.

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
                  There doesn't seem to be one ideal one just yet, the osl stuff will let you use refractive index data *but* it's not the most intuitive to tweak with and the data will only give you matches for one specific sample of a metal which may not match yours - you won't get artistic control afterwards. The falloff / mapped gradient stuff will give you more tweakability afterwards but it means a bit more setup. I reckon someone'll probably throw together a better OSL map that has all the bits combined similar to that ui concept posted.
                  Thank you for this heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by Rens View Post
                    Hm yeah, it is slightly towards 0 degrees:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23892[/ATTACH]

Left VrayBlend with Falloff as mask, VRayMtl for both, one diffuse, one reflective.
                    Right VRayMtl with Refl.
                    All at IOR 1,6.

I doubt that's because of the cos/linear issue though, maybe some energy preservation difference, or a slightly different equation.
                    Bercon Gradient in fresnel mode produces the same result as Vray.

-Eugenio

Comment

Originally posted by dubcat View Post
                      Ops, sorry about that. Try again
                      No luck for me, i download it but cannot open it in my max 2014
                      Best regards,
                      Jackie Teh
                      --

3ds max design 2023, V-Ray 6, Update 2.1 [6.20.06 build 00000]
                      AMD Threadripper 1950X @3.40 GHz | 64GB RAM | Nvidia RTX 3070 ti
                      Email: info@sporadicstudio.com
                      YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/SporadicStudio

Comment

Working...
                      X