No announcement yet.

New Physical camera its a mess.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would say that one problem I've had with the new camera is that when you've got any vertical/horizontal correction applied, it gradually (multi pass?) shifts back to the uncorrected view. Only when you click back in the viewport does it display the correct view - but only for a matter of seconds.

I realise this isn't a chaos group problem but an autodesk one, however it makes camera matching extraordinarily tedious.
    Check out my (rarely updated) blog @ http://macviz.blogspot.co.uk/

www.robertslimbrick.com

Cache nothing. Brute force everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Macker View Post
      when you've got any vertical/horizontal correction applied, it gradually (multi pass?) shifts back to the uncorrected view. Only when you click back in the viewport does it display the correct view - but only for a matter of seconds.
      This happens only when DOF is enabled and is due to the Nitrous viewport trying to show the DOF effect. It would be best to report this to Autodesk.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Yeah, it happens with swings and tilts too, making the DOF preview worthless for fine tuning a Scheimpflug.

Comment

there is also another little bug in the preview of the camera, which may or may not contribute to your woes setting up the focus plane: if you set the focus distance manually (instead of "use target distance") the preview plane changes accordingly, but the viewport DoF preview still maintains the target as focus distance.
          With camera skews, a different distance may distort the image differently than what you see without DoF preview (which starts with the current buffer, hence you see correct at first, but then starts using the multipass ones with the target as focus).
          Lele
          Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
          ----------------------
          emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
          The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

With so many people having issues with the new Autodesk/ChaosGroup physical cam in 2016, doesn't it just make sense to ditch it already and get a FULL ChaosGroup version back, but with the "new" features?!? (I know we can get the "old" one with maxscript)

Is there some kind of licensing or exclusivity issue in place that prevents ChaosGroup form further developing their own cam?
            Kind Regards,
            Morne

Comment

Originally posted by Morne View Post
              With so many people having issues with the new Autodesk/ChaosGroup physical cam in 2016, doesn't it just make sense to ditch it already and get a FULL ChaosGroup version back, but with the "new" features?!? (I know we can get the "old" one with maxscript)

Is there some kind of licensing or exclusivity issue in place that prevents ChaosGroup form further developing their own cam?
              I like this idea...!

Comment

Originally posted by Morne View Post

I agree, and apparently there isn't.

I love the fact that here at Chaos we can place suggestions and Vlado listens & replies - can't say the same about Autodesk.....
                Jez

------------------------------------
                3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3
                Windows 11 Pro 22H2 | NVidia Drivers 535.98 (Game Drivers)

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE
                ---- Updated 06/09/23 -------

Comment

I have one. How do you match a motion blur interval center of 0.0 (as controlled using std cam and Vray render dialog settings) with the new Physical Camera? The shutter offset does not allow negative values, which would be needed to match the proper motion blur centered used at every VFX studio I've worked at. The default is basically "frame forward" motion blur which is fine for all cg shots, but when you are using a tracked camera and matching to a live action plate then FRAME CENTERED motion blur is the method to use. Unfortunately I can find no way to do this with the new Phys Cam. The old Vray Phys Cam had a "Motion Picture" camera option which allowed frame centered motion blur, so it would be great to get this back.

It appears you can change it to negative values via Maxscript but the UI is blocked.
                  Last edited by mitchgates; 06-01-2016, 06:13 PM.

Comment

I have not read all of the posts, but I have to say the new cam is not causing any problems for me. and over all I like it more than the old camera, yes you have to change your workflow, but working with +/- EV is great, and I have not to set the f-number etc.
                    maybe the DOF is causing some issues in the viewport, but I don't need this feature.

best regards
                    themaxxer
                    Pixelschmiede GmbH
                    www.pixelschmiede.ch

Comment

• Originally posted by vlado View Post
                      It's actually quite a bit simpler and somewhat more logical. You'll get used to it in no time.

Best regards,
                      Vlado
                      Bringing up an older thread here....I find the new physical camera in the more recent versions of 3DS Max software to be somewhat different, but as you say usable when you get used to it.

So just a question, Vlado, if I may: When I set up two cameras in a scene, one the original Vray camera through the script, and the other a new Max Physical camera, and then set the F-stop, shutter speed, and ISO to be identical with both cameras, the exposures for the ensuing renders are in fact somewhat different. I was wondering why that is, and what the design issues might have been to cause the difference?? Is it just an arbitrary default EV setting in the new camera? Or perhaps something else...??

Thanks!

-Alan

Comment

• Autodesk used a different formula for the implementation of ISO numbers; they got their formula from Kodak wheras I got it from the ISO standard.

Best regards,
                        Vlado
                        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Autodesk used a different formula for the implementation of ISO numbers; they got their formula from Kodak wheras I got it from the ISO standard.

Best regards,
                          Vlado
                          Ah, very interesting!

Thanks Vlado,

-Alan

Comment

Autodesk used a different formula for the implementation of ISO numbers; they got their formula from Kodak wheras I got it from the ISO standard.

Best regards,
                            Vlado

That explains a lot. Maybe AD should have a new tag that says "If it aint broke, fix it"
                            Cheers,
                            -dave
                            ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

• Originally posted by Syclone1 View Post
                              That explains a lot. Maybe AD should have a new tag that says "If it aint broke, fix it"
                              I hear ya. There's been way too much breaking of things that worked perfectly well...as someone who helped develop Max's original User Interface (Early Alpha Customer Advisory teams), it is very sad, really...

-Alan

Comment

Working...
                              X