Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random colors / bitmaps

Hi,

I'm trying to find a way to randomly assign different colors / bitmaps to instanced objects in RT CUDA. At the moment only way seems to be randomly changing material ID and having multiple shaders in multi/Sub-Object shader, but that breaks instancing for RT and we're loosing a lot of memory.

Basically I would like to easily randomize colors for instanced objects in Forrest Pro or Railclone without adding too many different shaders / objects variations and saving memory usage. Is there any nice trick that works on RT CUDA ?

Best,
    @wyszolmirski | Dabarti | FB | BE

Sorry, there is nothing better at the moment.
    Having something for that is literally the next thing in the to-do list.

p.s. I am not familiar, but probably you can automate that for now with max script (or V-Ray python callback) as workaround ?
    Last edited by savage309; 11-06-2015, 08:03 AM.
    V-Ray fan.
    Looking busy around GPUs ...
    RTX ON

Comment

Originally posted by savage309 View Post
      Sorry, there is nothing better at the moment.
      Having something for that is literally the next thing in the to-do list.

p.s. I am not familiar, but probably you can automate that for now with max script (or V-Ray python callback) as workaround ?
      I'm glad to hear that. Can't wait to test that out. I found that this is something that could help a lot with building bigger scenes with reused models, but making it look more random. And with RT memory usage is more important than ever.

Best,

Comment

It sounds like you need "Forest Color" for Vray RT GPU. That's a trick inside Forest Pack to randomize color. But you might already know that.
        It would be super cool to have "Forest Color" supported for Vray RT GPU. Thanks in advance for that and thanks for a really cool Vray 3.2 update!

Best Regards

Karl Allemyr

Comment

allemyr: Yes, I'm aware of that, but it doesn't work. So I was looking for something more universal.

For a second I had little hope for texture randomize using tags in vrayHDRI... As far as this works with RT CPU and Adv, it just doesn't with CUDA.

Best,

Comment

Any new news on getting random colors working in RT? Currently I have a lot of trees set up w/ Forest Color tex, and I was planning to covert my cars to Forest Color as well (ala tut on itoo website). RT doesn't support Forest though - will VRayMultiSubTex be supported soon?

Thanks,
            Ryan

Comment

VRayMultiSubTex has partial GPU support in 3.30.01 - up to 12 maps and not all random modes are supported.
              MultiTexture GPU support is coming too (not sure if it is in the beta however).
              UserColor and UserScalar are also supported in 3.30.01.
              V-Ray fan.
              Looking busy around GPUs ...
              RTX ON

Comment

Working...
              X