Need an official tutorial for mudbox and Vray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need an official tutorial for mudbox and Vray

I just can't have anything working when trying Vector Displacement...

Did you look at this one already? If you did, what kind of issues are left?
    http://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/V...PTex+Textures#

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

ok... I guess I have to go into the Ptex learning... Thx

Comment

But Why is it not working with maps?

Comment

I need to keep the UVW for things like hair farm, so the Ptex setup is not the best yet...

Comment

you can have both... uvs and ptex...
            just bake to ptex in mudbox... if you have the same point order it will work...

if you have troubles with vector maps its mostly caused by bad uvs and or to lowres base geo...

Comment

Nothing prevents you from using both UVs and Ptex.

As to why it doesn't work with UVs, it actually does, but there are always problems at the seams. We will have to look into those at some point, but for the moment Ptex is more reliable.

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

When I do a Ptex setup in mudbox it kills my UVs... Can I use the Ptex auto generation in the extraction map dialogue? Your tut is stating otherwise... I am trying to get rid of these f$&@ing seams. I always thought that the purpose of displacement was to add details to low-poly, like in video games...
                Last edited by gregvfx; 15-07-2015, 06:23 AM.

Comment

you dont need the uvs in mudbox... just bake to ptex...
                  and use the mesh with the uvs in max... ptex does contain the geo information...
                  the mesh in max does not need a ptex setup... all the information is in the ptex file...

Comment

Originally posted by gregvfx View Post
                    Can I use the Ptex auto generation in the extraction map dialogue?
                    I think you can, yes. If it doesn't work, you can always set up ptex, export the displacement map and revert to the original file.

Best regards,
                    Vlado

Comment

I am pretty sure that the problems at the seam comes from the very bad edge bleeding that mudbox does. I tried passing the map through rendertotexture with edge padding but it doesn't solve the problem, and it feels like the floats are shifted in the rendered exr.

Comment

This is for normal displacement, vector displacement or something else? If you wish, you can send me (parts) of your model to vlado@chaosgroup.com and I'll take a look.

Best regards,
                        Vlado

Comment

are you using the latest mud version... 2016..?

Comment

yes, everything last version.

I am trying to do a facial rig that includes displacement maps and morph targets driven by joystick, jason Osipa style. I will give up on Ptex and redo the UVs since I need to be able to composite the displace maps, additive way. No Idea what Ptex VD would do.
                            With the tries I did, not defined enough Ptex displace is moving the geometry quite wrong, and I think for high frequencies Normal will be enough, I just need displace to improve the bump for shadows and silhouette.
                            So I guees I will be back with high def normal maps and quite low def displace maps...

Comment

What I don't understand is why we can't export the layers of mud box that contain all the transforms of all the subdivided vertices as a map format? Why resample these transforms in another format that is always loosing a bit of information?
                              Is there a simple explanation?

Comment

Working...
                              X