Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior Lighting 101 help needed

Hi,
    I'm quite familiar with exterior lighting and I use it daily in my projects. I do models of ships and they are always exterior shots as I never have to get into the vessel to show accommodations, etc. because usually this is done by the interior design people.
    However, after years of using Rhino + Vray, believe it or not, it is the very first time that I need to do interior lighting in a project and I realize that I'm a total novice in this.
    I have a space with no windows or exterior light at all, so dome lights, HDRI, sun or directional lights cannot be used so I'm trying to set up some simple ceiling rectangular lights superimposed on a plane of the same size with a emissive material not as a light source but only to simulate the effect of the actual rectangular light because leaving the light visible I find it too bright. So far so good.
    The problem is that Rhino crashes every single time when I try to render, sometimes doesn't completely crashes but if I see it stalling ready to crash and I manage to stop the render, the engine is stalled anyway because i keep getting the "Please wait until the render finish" message and my only option is to restart Rhino. Not even re-loading the model in the same Rhino session works.
    Since I only need a general lighting with no accents (for those I will use IES lights) I was thinking in leaving the lights with no decay and a low intensity so that all together give a nice general lighting.
    In any case, Rhino crashes whether I turn on only one light or all, whether I have decay or no decay ...
    I have a powerful rig and lots of RAM so this is not an issue.
    I would appreciate it if someone can take a look at the barebones mockup of the space and lights and tell me what I'm doing wrong. I just need to illuminate the damn thing !
    Thanks

light-test1.zip
    Last edited by palosanto; 04-08-2015, 12:37 PM.
    www.marinevisuals.com
    3D Visualization for the Marine Industry

Ok, something is definitey wrong with either vray or Rhino ...
    I re-installed vray and Rhino.
    Open a brand new scene.
    Added a plane
    Added three rectangular lights. Rhino crashes ....
    Tried with point lights. Rhino crashes ...
    I have 32 gb of RAM
    What the heck is happening ... !?
    I've been using vray with sun and dome lights for years and never had a problem. The first time I'm using other type of lights and rhino keeps crashing !!
    I desperately need help. I'm REALLY stuck !!
    Last edited by palosanto; 04-08-2015, 02:39 PM.
    www.marinevisuals.com

Comment

What version of V-Ray/Rhino are you using? I just download your scene. click render and everything worked fine. We just released a new version couple weeks ago.

Comment

I got the new version already.
        I have no idea what's going on. Actually it happens also with the sun which I thought it didn't.. It's got to be then something in my system but I re-installed vray and Rhino and the nvidia drivers, I even did a system restore to one week ago and it keeps happening. I'm in big trouble now ...

Now even more weird stuff happening. I started a clean scene and imported the model to try to purge any junk that might have been causing the crashes. Well, now I try to render to 1280x720 or any resolution for that matter and it keeps reverting to 640x40, and all I get is a black render in a few seconds and the progress bar stays oscillating back and forth forever but the status screen says "Cleaning up bitmap manager" and stays like that.
        I re-started the license server but still does it.
        Then I open a different scene and the resolution is fine again. But i cannot get higher resolutions in this other scene.
        I'm going crazy
        Last edited by palosanto; 05-08-2015, 01:08 AM.
        www.marinevisuals.com

Comment

When I do have problem in a drawing,usually what I do,is create a new drawing and import the one that cause the problem in it.
          most of the time the problem is solve,if not I close all layers except one and hit render,and I continue like that opening layer one after the other until it crash,very often the problem is on one layer,it is one object or one light that cause the problem.
          hope it helps.

edit :I just tried your scene,and as Fernando,it works perfectly fine here.
          Last edited by renee81; 05-08-2015, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Renee, if you read my previous message I did that, started with a new empty scene and imported the problematic one.
            Again I don't think is the scene anymore because I also tried in another machine with no problems.
            On the other hand, I render other scenes that have only Sun and dome lights with no issues, so I'm really at a loss here.
            EDIT: Actually some scenes with only sun also crash ...
            www.marinevisuals.com

Comment

palosanto,

First of all why you use the old materials? This is a big mistake.
              I have no problems with rendering your scene...
              Currently I'm working on a project of big tennis hall with no windows... What worked pretty good is combination of IES lights + some rectangular lights (invisible with no decay and stor. in IR) !

Comment

Aleksandar,
                I'm using often 'old' materials like you call them, because I have a big library. Not sure what you mean by big mistake, these materials have been fine for many years ... Also if I need bump or displacement, I need to start with a standard material anyways since the new brdf material doesn't have a slot for them. When i create new materials I start with a standard material, remove all layers and add a brdf layer so that I can keep the maps section (unless you know of any other way)
                I know that the scene renders fine, that was the point, it was crashing only in my machine so I figured that something in my system was causing the crashes.
                But yesterday morning, magically, I had no more crashes .... I hate when that happens because I still don't know what was causing the problem that drove me crazy for 4 days and made me start three threads in different forums.
                I'm sure that you can relate to that and has probably happened to many of us at some point ...
                Anyway, they say if it works, don't ask but I don't quite believe in the saying ... I still would like to know !
                www.marinevisuals.com

Comment

I say big mistake because the rendering time is significantly shorter when using new vray mat (or standard one without layers but brdf). I'm rendering big sport hall of wooden structure with lots of beams and firstly by habit I used as you said old material from the library.. and rendering time was 60% longer honestly..

Comment

I didn't know that they are more efficient. I thought that was just a different layout for the same properties. Thanks for the tip, I will definitely try to switch
                    www.marinevisuals.com

Comment

Working...
                    X