Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GeForce GTX 960 2GB ?

Hi all,

I have to choose a graphical card for my home workstation. It is not my main workstation (which is at the office): I only need a decent amount of power to work on middle weight scenes with 3dsmax, doing a little bit of VRay RT, retouching images on Photoshop, and sometimes doing some video editing with After Effects or Premiere.

My budget is quite tight, so at first sight I would go for a GeForce GTX 960. This one sounds good to me:
    http://www.inno3d.com/products_detail.php?refid=175

I'd like to hear from you: do you think this card will suit my needs ?
    What is your advice ?

Thank you
    BOKEH Studio

Nobody to answer me ?
    BOKEH Studio

Comment

For 1/3rd extra you get a little more than a 1/3rd extra power by going with a 970 - kind of unheard of to get that linear scale in hardware so i'd recommend you do that if it's possible. if not then sure it's a decent card for $200.

Comment

I agree with Neil here...if you can financially afford it...get the 970.
        Troy Buckley | Technical Art Director
        Midwest Studios

Comment

Hi, thank you,

Ok I will think about it (970).

Generally speaking, do you think I have to give priority to memory or frequency ? For 960 cards, some models are 4 GB and other ones are 2 GB. Is there an advantage to buy a 4 GB one ? Maybe with VRay RT ? I don't know ...

Also: some models are 8% overclocked, other ones 13% overclocked (some even more but they are too big and don't fit in my machine): do you think overclocked cards will last less ?

Thank you
          BOKEH Studio

Comment

Originally posted by AltoR View Post
            Hi, thank you,

Ok I will think about it (970).

Generally speaking, do you think I have to give priority to memory or frequency ? For 960 cards, some models are 4 GB and other ones are 2 GB. Is there an advantage to buy a 4 GB one ? Maybe with VRay RT ? I don't know ...

Also: some models are 8% overclocked, other ones 13% overclocked (some even more but they are too big and don't fit in my machine): do you think overclocked cards will last less ?

Thank you
            The rule is the more frequency you put through circuitry, the faster it wears out. With this said, I've overclocked a bunch of cpus/gpus and have _always_ replaced them before they wore out because they were too old to work with anymore and too slow.
            Colin Senner

Comment

More video memory, the better. I personally will not buy anything with less than 4GB.
              Troy Buckley | Technical Art Director
              Midwest Studios

Comment

Thank you all for your answers, much appreciated and helpful.

I am going to buy this one: http://www.inno3d.com/products_detail.php?refid=184
                It seems to be the best trade-off between power and price.
                Last edited by AltoR; 22-09-2015, 11:00 PM.
                BOKEH Studio

Comment

Working...
                X