Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stochastic flakes plugin, take 2

Hello guys,

Here is an updated version of the stochastic flakes plugin; this version is faster and has the ability to generate colored flakes, also has triplanar mapping for objects that don't have UVs. If you think that some other types of controls will be needed, please let us know.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    Attached Files
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

The tripanar mapping thing is very interesting generally - do you think it's possible to decouple this from the flakes plugin and add it as a mode inside of vray hdri, if it has some kind of angle based masking that'd make it applicable for general mapping of bitmaps similar to what Neil blevins was asking autodesk to add in?

Comment

yes please! (+1 etc.) id love it if vray could do the whole triplanar/blended box thing on bitmaps. Neils thing works fine, and i use it ALL the time, but its fiddly to set up and control.

Comment

Is it possible to have a link to what Neil did please ?

Stan
        3LP Team

Comment

It's really an autodesk problem and not a chaos group one but if they've already done the work and it'd be trivial to implement it'd be very much appreciated

Stan - here's paul neale doing a video demo, Neil has a written tutorial called "Blended box mapping" on the subject - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILRy4yCXYSs

Maya already has tri planar mapping and the substance material generation tools are including it too, it's a very convenient way of using bitmaps without needing uv's and avoiding stretching.

Comment

Well, our mapping doesn't do the blending part (neither does the Maya implementation, actually). It might be possible to do an OSL shader for this though.

Best regards,
            Vlado

Comment

I've really gotta look into OSL after this week - there's some really flexible stuff being done in it. This is definitely a gap on autodesk's part though, I'll pop it up on their 3dsmax feedback site and give the eue attending members a poke.

Comment

for Stan:

http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_educat...ox_mapping.htm

his script (i use the UVW map method) is included in the soulburn (formerly blur) scripts pack .. and if you dont have those... -nope. impossible. i couldnt get by a day in max without soulburn.

Comment

Actually I couldn't find a way to do what I want with OSL, but I'm almost done coding a C++ plugin... will post it here hopefully later tonight.

Best regards,
                  Vlado

Comment

You're like santa except leave presents multiple times a year. I've no idea how you achieve all you do with the company and stay as healthy as you are too, you're a very impressive person Vlado.

Comment

holy cow. ..as above.. Vlado.. do you sleep?!

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell View Post

Maya already has tri planar mapping and the substance material generation tools are including it too, it's a very convenient way of using bitmaps without needing uv's and avoiding stretching.
                        Uuuh, now you've got my attention!

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                        Actually I couldn't find a way to do what I want with OSL, but I'm almost done coding a C++ plugin... will post it here hopefully later tonight.

Best regards,
                        Vlado
                        Uuuh, now you've got my attention!

Comment

Here is an early attempt. Please test it and let me know if there are any issues or if you want anything else added.

In the example images, no procedural textures were used - just bitmaps.

[EDIT] You need to copy the .dlt file to the vrayplugins folder, as mentioned in the readme, not the plugins one.

[EDIT] I was asked to provide an alternate download link as some forum users can't see the attachments...

http://www.spot3d.com/vray/misc/vraytriplanartex.zip

Best regards,
                          Vlado
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by vlado; 30-09-2015, 06:42 AM.

Comment

that looks like just what we are hoping for! buuut, hm.. i copied the DLT (2014) to my plugins folder, but when i start max i get an error: dll blah blah vraytriplanartex2014.dlt> failed to initialise. error code 126 - the specified module could not be found.

what are the prerequisites? i have max 2014 and vray 3.20.03
                            Last edited by super gnu; 27-09-2015, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Hm, I built it against the nightly builds, probably that's why. I will recompile for the official builds tomorrow.

Best regards,
                              Vlado

Comment

Working...
                              X