No announcement yet.

Stochastic flakes plugin, take 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The triplaner should be bundled with vray.

Comment

+1 on taking the time to develop this, Vlado. I would certainly use this plugin more often than doing Neil's manual setup. No offense Neil, I've wanted to see this developed more fully since I saw your first tri-planar mapping tutorial several years ago. Has it really been 15 years? Man that makes me feel old.

Joel

Comment

No offense taken, my script has been at best a workaround, I want to stop using it too and use the real thing

- Neil

Comment

My MCG BlendedBoxMapping modifier can randomly rotate/offset UV per object.
          http://cganimator.com/mcg-blendedboxmapping-modifier

Maybe vlado can make this as C++ modifier.

Comment

+1 I could not agree more,

As it happens this is the only way we can do certain things in our studio due to the model types we are supplied with.

Our studio receives CAD models on a regular basis that need to be textured, animated and rendered, I don't know if anyone has ever tried unwrapping a CAD model from lets say Inventor, as far as I am aware it cannot be done purely because of how the meshes are structured.

So in conclusion this Triplanar Mapping method would be a much better option than having seams from the normal 'box mapping' methods.

I have been using Neil Blevins script the past few weeks and it has changed the way I map models, it is extremely useful. Getting this integrated into a more streamlined set-up would be "most impressive".

Thanks to Neil, duke2 and Vlado for the work done on BBM so far. It's really great.

Comment

Hi Vlado,

Thanks for this very useful feature/plugin.
              I did some testing with the vraytriplanartex map in max2014 SP5, vray 3.20.03.
              It seems to crash when I try to use it within a composite map.
              To recreate the error: Add composite map to diffuse, add vraytriplanartex map to first layer. nothing seems to change but click the first layer anyway and you're in the vraytriplanartex and now try to select a bitmap.... crash.

Would it be possible to have this working in Vray-RT as well?

Also: The vraystochasticflakesmtl2014 crashes the material-map browser every time I open it, even in new scene. I had to remove it to fix the problem.

Cheers,
              Tim

Comment

Thanks for the pointers; will check those out.

Best regards,
                Vlado
                I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

So here is an updated version:
                  http://www.spot3d.com/vray/misc/vraytriplanartex.zip

I think I managed to incorporate all suggestions, but if I've missed anything, please let me know.

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  Attached Files

Comment

Vlado, you are the man, that works great!

Two little notes:

- the frame offset X and Z I believe are going in the wrong direction, if you add 10 units to X, the patterns go to the left.
                    - It shows up under the regular max maps, not the vray max maps, even though it's a vray map.

Vlado, I have been waiting for this for the last 10 years, there are no words to describe how happy I am! If I run into you, forget a beer, I am buying you the most expensive steak dinner money can buy!

- Neil

Comment

Originally posted by soulburn3d View Post
                      Vlado, you are the man, that works great!

Two little notes:

- the frame offset X and Z I believe are going in the wrong direction, if you add 10 units to X, the patterns go to the left.
                      - It shows up under the regular max maps, not the vray max maps, even though it's a vray map.

Vlado, I have been waiting for this for the last 10 years, there are no words to describe how happy I am! If I run into you, forget a beer, I am buying you the most expensive steak dinner money can buy!

- Neil
                      What he said...

Thanks Vlado.

Comment

Originally posted by soulburn3d View Post
                        The offset is in local space (the shaded object space or the reference node object space), not world space. Could this explain it? Should it be world space? I was not sure.

Best regards,
                        Vlado

Comment

with this and the new "denoiser" thread, plus the new sampler and adaptive MSR work, im seeing some REALLY impressive development here. add imap to GPU too, and the next service pack will be the most kick-ass release ever.

Comment

Originally posted by super gnu View Post
                            with this and the new "denoiser" thread, plus the new sampler and adaptive MSR work, im seeing some REALLY impressive development here. add imap to GPU too, and the next service pack will be the most kick-ass release ever.
                            It would be, however I highly doubt that the Denoiser will be included in the next service pack as it is still under development and is currently not owned by Chaosgroup.

Here's hoping...

Comment

Yes, it's a bit too early to say anything specific about the denoiser. They only recently got it to work without issues on these test scenes

Best regards,
                              Vlado

Comment

yes of course, despite my post im not really expecting every feature in the next SP. however lots of nice interesting threads about at the moment

Comment

Working...
                                X