No announcement yet.

Stochastic flakes plugin, take 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umh, just a heads up, Vlado: the category of the map isn't VRay, is Standard (took me a while to find it... :P)
    Lele
    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
    ----------------------
    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Very cool, could it finally, be after 15 years, a blended box map? I will test the crap out of this once it gets compiled for the regular build, can't wait! Thanks Vlado!

- Neil

Comment

This looks pretty cool!

Stan
        3LP Team

Comment

Originally posted by soulburn3d View Post
          Very cool, could it finally, be after 15 years, a blended box map? I will test the crap out of this once it gets compiled for the regular build, can't wait! Thanks Vlado!

- Neil
          I can testify the time HAS indeed come.
          And only 2 parameters to fiddle with: scale and blend amount.
          I had a ball with it, yesterday evening.
          Lele
          ----------------------

Disclaimer:
          The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Originally posted by super gnu View Post
            that looks like just what we are hoping for! buuut, hm.. i copied the DLT (2014) to my plugins folder, but when i start max i get an error: dll blah blah vraytriplanartex2014.dlt> failed to initialise. error code 126 - the specified module could not be found.

what are the prerequisites? i have max 2014 and vray 3.20.03
            Can you check if that "plugins folder" is "vrayplugins" and not just "plugins"
            If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
            Chaos

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
              I can testify the time HAS indeed come.
              And only 2 parameters to fiddle with: scale and blend amount.
              I had a ball with it, yesterday evening.
              Wow. It sure looks like it was a good time that I decided to buy into Vray!

Comment

Originally posted by soulburn3d View Post
                I will test the crap out of this once it gets compiled for the regular build
                Actually no recompile is needed, like Peter mentioned, you need to copy the .dlt file to the "vrayplugins" folder, not the "plugins" one. It says so in the readme, but I guess no-one reads that

Best regards,
                Vlado
                I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working fine in 3.2.03 Neil - you won't need any nightlies for it.

Much appreciated again Vlado.

Comment

thats odd, i did put it in the vrayplugins folder. ill have to try again today.

Comment

yep, it works perfectly on the latest official build. top effort as always Vlado!

Comment

i dont have time to test thoroughly now ( its working, i had left a copy of the dlt in my root plugins folder, so i was getting the error despite having it there in max)

but how does it behave with transforming/deforming geometry? i assume its not compatible with deforming geometry?

Comment

but how does it behave with transforming/deforming geometry? i assume its not compatible with deforming geometry?
                          Transformations (move/rotate/scale) will be fine, deformations obviously not. Deformations are maybe doable if there was a way to bake the original object-space vertex normals into a mapping channel that the plugin can use, instead of the shade hit normals.

Best regards,
                          Vlado
                          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

would it be possible to add a random offset/rotation per element, or per material id?

as an example if i apply dirt to a load of complex metalwork ( my current project) i cannot manually offset the mapping on axis-aligned elements to remove the obvious matching tiling. does that make sense? using uv mapping its relatively easy to manually offset uv cooordinates to fix this.

Comment

I can't think of anyone going about a deformation (rigged, and such) without FIRST having applied a proper UV set: it's just plain reckless...
                              Lele
                              ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

i know i know. you can tell im someone who doesnt do character stuff.

And, speaking of characters, it would be of little use if you needed to do a proper unwrap anyway. however the wider the use cases it can cover, the better. any chance to avoid unwrapping is to be welcomed!

Having said that, im just grateful to get a proper blended box thing. I rarely use deforming meshes.

Comment

Working...
                                X