Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old 3.2 / new 3.3 behavior switcher

Hello,
    is there a MaxScript to switch the old 3.2 and new 3.3 behavior of an already opened Scene?

# For old 3.2 behavior:
    renderers.current.twoLevel_adaptiveMethod=0
    renderers.current.progressive_dynNoiseThreshold=0 # ??
    renderers.current.options_rgbColorSpace=0 # 0= old CIE RGB

# For new 3.3 behavior:
    renderers.current.twoLevel_adaptiveMethod=1
    renderers.current.progressive_dynNoiseThreshold=30 # ??
    renderers.current.options_rgbColorSpace=1 # 1=new sRGB

Kind regards
    Alex

There are a couple of other things (use local subdivs and reflective caustics), so it would be something like:

Code:
    # For old 3.2 behavior: 
    renderers.current.progressive_dynNoiseThreshold=0	# progressive sampler samples uniformly pixels above the noise threshold
    renderers.current.dmc_useLocalSubdivs=true
    renderers.current.gi_reflectCaustics=false # unless you had them enabled
    renderers.current.imageSampler_shadingRate=2 # unless you put something else here

# For new 3.3 behavior: 
    renderers.current.progressive_dynNoiseThreshold=30 # progressive sampler gradually reduces the noise threshold when 30% of all pixels are left
    renderers.current.dmc_useLocalSubdivs=false
    renderers.current.gi_reflectCaustics=true
    renderers.current.imageSampler_shadingRate=6
    Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

wonderful

Thank you Vlado

Comment

What does this do? :O

Comment

It switches the adaptive image sampler from the old min/max algorithm to the new variance-based one.

Best regards,
          Vlado

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong. So basically there is no specific button or dropdown menu I can turn on "Variance-based adaptive sampler"?

If I want to compare VRay 3.2 and 3.3, all I can do is run the script above? to see the benefit of using Variance-based...

Chen

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
              There are a couple of other things (use local subdivs and reflective caustics), so it would be something like:

Code:
              # For old 3.2 behavior: 
              renderers.current.progressive_dynNoiseThreshold=0	# progressive sampler samples uniformly pixels above the noise threshold
              renderers.current.dmc_useLocalSubdivs=true
              renderers.current.gi_reflectCaustics=false # unless you had them enabled
              renderers.current.imageSampler_shadingRate=2 # unless you put something else here

# For new 3.3 behavior: 
              renderers.current.progressive_dynNoiseThreshold=30 # progressive sampler gradually reduces the noise threshold when 30% of all pixels are left
              renderers.current.dmc_useLocalSubdivs=false
              renderers.current.gi_reflectCaustics=true
              renderers.current.imageSampler_shadingRate=6
              Best regards,
              Vlado
              Thanks, Vlado !
              Nicolas Caplat
              www.intangibles.fr

Comment

Deleted. Thought settings are sticky *somehow* , but looks like they need to be set up on each 3dsmax startup. So here comes another question - how i can override renderers.current.options_rgbColorSpace=0 to be default ?
                Last edited by Oleg_Budeanu; 05-01-2016, 07:40 AM.
                Available for remote work.
                My LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/olegbudeanu/

Comment

Originally posted by Oleg_Budeanu View Post
                  Deleted. Thought settings are sticky *somehow* , but looks like they need to be set up on each 3dsmax startup.
                  The option is saved and loaded with a scene, so once you set it, there is no need to do anything anymore.

If you want it to change the default option, you can save a V-Ray preset called "default" (without the quotes) - V-Ray will load it every time you create a new scene or reset Max. The color space option is part of the "Global switches" rollout, so you can just save that one into the "default" preset.

Best regards,
                  Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                    The color space option is part of the "Global switches" rollout, so you can just save that one into the "default" preset.
                    Is this incorporated into of the "Legacy sun/sky/camera" checkbox?
                    www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Originally posted by dlparisi View Post
                      Is this incorporated into of the "Legacy sun/sky/camera" checkbox?
                      No; that option is used to keep the even older sun/sky model that we had originally in V-Ray 1.4x (surprisingly, there are still a few scenes floating around that use that). We probably need to hide that option nowadays.

Best regards,
                      Vlado

Comment

Silly me, I thought you meant there was a checkbox in the Global switches rollout that I just wasn't seeing. Rereading it now I see you meant that the "renderers.current.options_rgbColorSpace" setting just gets saved as part of the "options" group. Thanks.
                        www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Hello,
                          how can I determine whether a allready resaved scene is still using the 3.2 or the new 3.3 parameters ?

The dialog box with the selection appears only when i open a older file at the first time (Did I correctly watched it ?)

Kind regards
                          Alex

Comment

You can check whether you are using the new variance-based adaptive sampler by executing this command in the MAXScript Listener
                            renderers.current.twoLevel_adaptiveMethod

if it returns 1 it means you are using it, if it returns 0 it means you are using the old sampling.
                            Zdravko Keremidchiev | chaos.com
                            Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
                            X