No announcement yet.

V-Ray 3.30 official build available for download

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, until there is an actual, reproducible bug, one has to file it into the user mistakes section.
    So by all means, download it and go ahead, maybe not straight into your most cherished production scene (ya know, cold water, dry feet), and if you happen to see it misbehave, report in WITH a piece of digital evidence to analyse.

Unless ofc you prefer to play it safe based on someone else's rumors...
    Lele
    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
    ----------------------
    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

The list of improvements and bug fixes is very long and shows how hard you work! Thanks to vlado and your team!

I see many bug fixes and improvements to vray-RT as well as better support for AMD GPU, so I guess I ill have to get back to it.

Explosion & smoke I did with PhoenixFD
      Little Antman
      See Iron Baby and other of my models on Turbosquid!
      Some RnD involving PhoenixFD

Comment

Originally posted by jstrob View Post
        The list of improvements and bug fixes is very long and shows how hard you work!
        this is absolutely true, couldn't agree more with the above statement. it's an impressive effort.
        if I could only download the bloody file already

Comment

Originally posted by jstrob View Post
          I see many bug fixes and improvements to vray-RT as well as better support for AMD GPU, so I guess I ill have to get back to it.
          Just a note - AMD Driver 15+ and AMD GPU with GCN architecture is a prerequisite.
          V-Ray fan.
          Looking busy around GPUs ...
          RTX ON

Comment

Exactly, always try it yourself, to revert to original post i have to say that i did write disclaimer, what i have experienced could be incident related only to me!

Tested same MS with other rendering engine and it worked with no issues, same as i am currently using Forest pack with Vray and everything working fine but as Vlado has mention that's not the point.

If you guys have R&D grass(models) try it yourself, load scene field Grass 06, in DR with BF+LC(progressive) it gave me bugs like i have mention in my first post, that is the scene that requires 6-7gb of ram to initialize, i have mentioned that earlier and is roughly same complexity as my scene required to be.

Unfortunately i didn't have time to go through process of submitting my scene for further analysis and waiting response to see if there is specific solution apart from using BF+BF and it was easier to switch to FPP, but anyhow i have double(triple checked) to see if my network is working, or if every node is seeing everything it should, if maps are accessible, firewalls and so on and eventually i have tested scene in other engine(and it worked flawlessly).

@^Lele^
            Feel free if you have time to test scene for yourself ofc if you have MS and scene field Grass 06, as i do not expect anyone blindly to believe based on what i have experienced it could happen to him, that is why i had that disclaimer at the end of the original post. So no need for "someone else rumors" as this is not trial and i am not accusing, i am just answering to guy Bpositive who asked about MS and Vray 3.3, and gave MY experience, if he didn't ask i wouldn't write.

So to put end to this nicely and to respond to person my post was originally intended for, Bpositive please try it yourself, please make copy of your scene(do not make mistake like i did) and i wish you luck!

Take care!

Comment

Oh, Ivan, i never realised there actually IS a scene to test against, my bad.
              So it's a grass example from the MS site?
              Lele
              ----------------------

Disclaimer:
              The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

That scene is part of their iGrass pack, and it was given to me by friend of mine as i wanted to check if i am doing everything OK in my scene(originally i had trouble with my scene) i asked if he has some scene with MS i could test if everything is working and he gave me field Grass 06 and that scene also gave me same problems as my scene.

I don't think i can share it publicly but please if you have someone who has it ask them.

I have worked with MS earlier so i am quite familiar how it works, that is why i decided for them, usually i do not do lot's of exteriors that required scattering but for my current project i needed it and there wasn't way around it, so i made purchase of MS few days ago.

Unfortunately it didn't work for me with vray beta as i already started doing scene with 3.3, however guys from R&D have good support, they were very professional and fast with responses also they realized i wouldn't be able to finish what i have intended with BF+BF and we come to agreement that i get refund and to try and search some other ways of finishing up my scene, as i did eventually.

I wish i had time to send sample scene and spend few days trying to provide detailed explanation like i did with the guy at guruware when grow ivy didn't work in max 2016 but i just couldn't afford it this time.

Frankly i didn't know this will stir up so much responses, as when i searched whole day yesterday(about MS) i didn't find any meaningful answer on forum, also i was quite surprised to realize that everyone has migrated to FPP so after seeing that Vlado linked FPP beta 5.0.2 and that is working with vray 3.3 i made instant purchase and salvage whole thing.
                So i will end up using it for this project and who knows when... That is how often i am using scattering.

Edit: That is why i made all that disclaimers in the first place.

Anyhow again, test and make sure it works, it never was bad idea
                Last edited by Ivan1982; 18-12-2015, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Well, about MS - we're using maya version, and there were some huge problems with memory usage and compiling time. But, now seems like they found a way to get back to normal memory management.

I wish, you guys had vrcene loader inside max. It is just awesome! We have just switched almost every huge assets to vrscenes. Just awesome. Had to mention once again - it is maya only for the time being

P.S. About the new sampler and moblur - there's smth, that is very sensitive to every single digit you enter in msr and max aa. If someone is experiencing massive slowdowns with pixel perfect moblur (when everything around is noisy, but moblur is just incredibly clean) - try to lower max aa to smth like 7. Just a small tip.
                  I just can't seem to trust myself
                  So what chance does that leave, for anyone else?
                  ---------------------------------------------------------
                  CG Artist

Comment

Paul, there is no need to touch either MSR (this of them all, the one you REALLY should leave alone as of SP3), or Max AA.
                    Noise threshold is what you'd change if you wanted a cleaner image.
                    SP3 will clean your alpha channel (in DoF or MoBlur situations) WAY better than sp2 ever did, right from the very early stages, you just have to get used to it.
                    So, forget about it entirely, and just concentrate on getting a clean RGB (lower noise threshold if the sampleRate Re shows to have not have reached max AA, raise max AA otherwise.) if with full knowledge the Alpha will be perfect no matter what.

Unrelated to this, the Site's now back up: get downloading!
                    Lele
                    ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Some great updates in this service pack, thanks guys

When saving an RT render to the history I can no longer switch between other renders saved, it's stuck on the RT render. Edit: Just had another look at this and might be caused by what seems like RT is still working even when there's a max time set?

Can we get a render timer added to RT? If I set the max time to 5 minutes there's no way to see how long its been rendering for or telling when it's finished. Seems logical that the same window used for cpu rendering should be added.

It seems like almost everything I use is now supported by RT but will it ever be able to support procedural maps as bump maps? Tiles is the main one I used for anything architectural.

Is it intentional that the default sky model when creating a VRaySun is now Hosek et al? I googled "Hosek et al" and it didn't return anything useful, do you have any info on why this is a better/more realistic sky model than previously used? Just curious.
                      Last edited by maxwood; 18-12-2015, 02:08 PM.
                      Freelance 3D Generalist
                      www.maxwood.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by maxwood View Post
                        When saving an RT render to the history I can no longer switch between other renders saved, it's stuck on the RT render. Edit: Just had another look at this and might be caused by what seems like RT is still working even when there's a max time set?
                        Not sure about this one; do you have more specific steps to reproduce it?

Can we get a render timer added to RT? If I set the max time to 5 minutes there's no way to see how long its been rendering for or telling when it's finished. Seems logical that the same window used for cpu rendering should be added.
                        Yes, will do that.

It seems like almost everything I use is now supported by RT but will it ever be able to support procedural maps as bump maps? Tiles is the main one I used for anything architectural.
                        Actually the Tiles one will work fine (the RT engine will bake it into a bitmap automatically).

Is it intentional that the default sky model when creating a VRaySun is now Hosek et al?
                        Yes, it is intentional.

I googled "Hosek et al" and it didn't return anything useful, do you have any info on why this is a better/more realistic sky model than previously used? Just curious.
                        The original paper is here:
                        http://cgg.mff.cuni.cz/projects/Skyl...int_lowres.pdf

It has some comparison images.

Best regards,
                        Vlado
                        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

[QUOTE=vlado;675300

Actually the Tiles one will work fine (the RT engine will bake it into a bitmap automatically).

Best regards,
                          Vlado[/QUOTE]

what resolution does the RT engine bake the tiles map at? since the maximum specifiable texture size is 2048 in the rendersetup, (unless you choose "unscaled") there doesnt seem to be a way to control it. i ask because i tried to do a tile pattern to do a grid on a curtain, with fine lines. it was obviously not high enough resolution as it was skipping lines in the final render. i was able to avoid this by making a smaller map and tiling it, however for floors etc, monster resolutions are often needed.

Comment

Hm, good point. I think the default is 512, but there really should be some control for that.

Best regards,
                            Vlado
                            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by maxwood View Post
                              Is it intentional that the default sky model when creating a VRaySun is now Hosek et al? I googled "Hosek et al" and it didn't return anything useful, do you have any info on why this is a better/more realistic sky model than previously used? Just curious.
                              http://cgg.mff.cuni.cz/projects/Skyl...int_lowres.pdf

EDIT: bah, sorry for the double post, my browser stopped at your post, i never saw Vlado's replies.
                              Last edited by ^Lele^; 18-12-2015, 05:34 PM.
                              Lele
                              ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Do you guys have the scenes you tested available? I've tried 3 of my own so far, and have had no luck of getting render times near what I had before.

The last one I just tried...

Baseline VR3.2 3:32 time. CAD converted to mesh. Very low noise in render. Adaptive 1/50 color .005, noise .002, GI Irradiance + Light Cache.
                                Test 1 4:22 opening with 3.3, but selecting no to the conversion
                                Test 2 6:18 opening with 3.3, and selecting yes to the conversion. No resetting of the render settings
                                Test 3 4:46 opening with 3.3, selecting yes to conversion, and resetting VRay render settings, turn on GI and left at default. Very noisy. Also brighter, noticed reflection caustics is on. Turning off doesn't change render time much.
                                Test 4 7:19 drop noise threshold to where it was in other files, and set GI back to Irradiance and Light Cache as it was in 3.2 test. Some parts are cleaner than 3.2 render, but most has more noise. An even noise the across render, like advertised, but the render time is more than double what I get in 3.2.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong. In another test I did that has a lot of forest pack pro instances, and some water, the results were unusable in a production situation if I did a full conversion. Went from 23 minutes a frame in 3.2, to 19 minutes a frame and selecting no to conversion in 3.3 (forest pack areas look to render faster). To over an hour if I select yes to the conversion, whether I reset the render settings or not. Was there any file types that you did have trouble with, that maybe that's what I'm running into?

Comment

Working...
                                X