X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-Ray GPU unsupported features

Stochastic flakes
    plane light directional

Will these features be supported by the CUDA render engine anytime soon?

Cheers

Lee
    Director & 3D Artist at Focal CGI

The directionality, yes. The stochastic flakes will take a bit longer, but eventually yes.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I just remembered another feature. Any chance we could have rounded corners also?

Comment

I think it's already supported in the latest 3.30 releases.

Best regards,
        Vlado

Comment

Okay thanks. Last time I checked using the stable from the main website I noticed it wasn't supported. I will try the nighties and let you know if you It's still not showing up once I've updated.

Comment

Just taking a look at the latest vRay release (3.4) and It looks like rounded corners are not supported yet on the GPU I'm also not getting any "directional" functionality.

I understand that Stochastic Flakes will take some time but are you able to update me on the availability of these features.

Many Thanks

Lee
            Last edited by leehenshall; 28-06-2016, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Rounded corners should work, I think - I have to double-check though. Do you have access to the nightly/stable builds on nightlies.chaosgroup.com?

Directional lights are in the works and close to being finished.

The stochastic flakes already work in the nightly builds since a week or so.

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

Because of the different exported in Maya, the rounded edges does not work in 3.40.02 on the GPU. Sorry about that.
                But like the flakes, it does work in the nightly builds.

I will make sure to port the fix for the rounded edges in Maya to the stable branch as well, so it will appear in some of the next official patches.

Best,
                Blago.
                V-Ray fan.
                Looking busy around GPUs ...
                RTX ON

Comment

I only checked the most recent release. I do have access to nighties so will keep an eye on the coming updates.

I have a lot of GPU render power so the more features on the GPU the more valuable vRay becomes to me. I've been testing Octane & I-Ray a lot and they are very realistic render engines but they cannot compete with Chaos Group support, implementation and development speed which are very important variables for me when relying on a tool to use on client paid work.

I would love to use V-Ray as a full GPU render it's mainly a few missing features such as rounded corners, car flakes and directional light that are holding me back. (I mainly do automotive work for design and marketing)

Thanks again for the excellent support. You're doing a great job.

Comment

Hi Guys,

I'm still having a few issues when getting these features to work on the GPU with the latest nightly build I can find.

This is the version I have downloaded:

Click image for larger version

Name:	nightly_version.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	862524
                    Here's my test setup:

Name:	vray_gpu_features_nightly.jpg
Size:	522.2 KB
ID:	862525

Here's what it looks like on the CPU:

Name:	vray_gpu_features_cpu.jpg
Size:	500.1 KB
ID:	862526

I've tried a production render as well as an RT session with no success. Do I have the wrong development build?

Also could there be some setup process I have not properly setup to get VRay working properly with the GPU or should it be automatic?

Cheers

Lee
                    Last edited by leehenshall; 30-06-2016, 03:50 PM.

Comment

I was about to rant about how round corners doesn't work as expected, but then my build was from 28/Jun (26839).
                      Just updated to build 26843 and happy to report both RoundCorners and Stochaistic working perfectly in GPU. What a happy friday !

Thank you SO much for Roundcorners - can finally start using GPU on a lot more projects now.

Comment

Glad to hear that it works.
                        Keep us posted about what is important for your workflows, feedback helps a lot .

Best,
                        Blago.
                        V-Ray fan.
                        RTX ON

Comment

Originally posted by leehenshall View Post
                          Hi Guys, I'm still having a few issues when getting these features to work on the GPU with the latest nightly build I can find. This is the version I have downloaded: [ATTACH=CONFIG]31097[/ATTACH] Here's my test setup: [ATTACH=CONFIG]31098[/ATTACH] Here's what it looks like on the CPU: [ATTACH=CONFIG]31099[/ATTACH] I've tried a production render as well as an RT session with no success. Do I have the wrong development build? Also could there be some setup process I have not properly setup to get VRay working properly with the GPU or should it be automatic? Cheers Lee
                          Uh, unfortunately it seems like you don't see the nightly builds that you need. We have two branches - stable nightly & just nightly. The stable nightly is basically almost like the official build and we try to move only critical fixes there. The regular nightly builds have all the latest fixes, but they are not as well tested, since they have the changes from the last day and are a bit more dangerous to work with. I will try to find out if it is possible to give you access to the nightlies you need and will get back to you. Sorry for the trouble, Best, Blago. Edit: also it is the stochastic flakes mtl that got support in the nightlies .. It is much better than the regular flakes anyway. The rounded edges will be added in a day or two to the stable nightlies as well.
                          Last edited by savage309; 01-07-2016, 12:53 AM.
                          V-Ray fan.
                          RTX ON

Comment

Thanks for confirming this. It would be great if you could grant me access to these builds. I have a large amount of Phase One backplates and HDRIs to render with and It would be great to do them with v-ray GPU.

Here's some insight as to what I use my requested features for:

Directional Area Light:

I use this for studio lighting. I use it to simulate dedo and spot lights. I usually build a studio cove and bounce lights off the studio wall. Its good to have the ability to focus the light to adjust the contrast in the reflected highlight on car body panels. I also use directional to bring out a car paint flake effect in certain areas.

Rounded-Corners:

This is pretty obvious...It's useful to add rounded corners to CAD models where no filleting has been applied. This is very common in Automotive/Marine/Aero Space work.

Stochastic Flakes:

I work mainly with cars and man made manufactured subject matter. Haveing the ability to simulate fine detail often found in manufactured products really helps make things look real.

Here's a couple of other requests (apologies If these are already included I don't get a lot of time to test at the moment. I'm usually off site with clients all week)

OSL:

In particular complex IOR and thin film. I need these for realistic metals as well iridescence on car head lamps. It would be good if these things could be built into the v-ray shader eventually with a list of presets for common metals (I hate having to go to refractiveindex.info and try to figure out what values to use.....I usually end up setting ND & K to aluminium for everything and using colour correct nodes to tint/clamp it to save trying to find the exact metal values every time).

Cross section/Render booleans:

With product work clients like to see cut always of their designs.

V-Ray Scanned Materials

Scanned materials are becoming a huge deal with Automotive OEMS. I will really need this in my GPU pipeline in the future. This also ties in with the whole vRed debate in Automotive.
                            Last edited by leehenshall; 01-07-2016, 03:22 AM.

Comment

Very useful feedback, thank you !
                              With the nightlies you will get to test the rounded corners and the stochastic flakes. The direction area lights are almost done, still not in the nightlies, but definitely coming soon.
                              We have also support for GLSL textures, and in then nightlies we have added support for MDL. We still don't have OSL and I don't how soon we plan to look into that (MDL is much better suited for GPUs in general). Probably we can look into the complex IOR and thin film as a separate things.
                              We have the clipper and the scanned materials in the todo list. I will try to bump their priority a bit.

Best,
                              Blago.
                              V-Ray fan.
                              RTX ON

Comment

Working...
                              X