Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Render farm hardware

Good day all,
    Just checking to see if we have anyone on the forum with experience building their own render farm.
    Question;
    1. What server work best
    2. How does it impact power expense.
    3. Render speed

I am currently watching hp proliant dl380 g6 but I am also wondering if I should just build a system that would allow me to add gpu for more flexibility seeing that Vray RT getting better.

Thank you all!
    Thank you,
    Garth

really depends on your budget.
    Ideally go for the most power you can get in a single box, whether its a rack or otherwise.

How much do you want to spend?

Comment

I just finished my second farm, gpu based. I went with motherboards that could handle 2 cards each. Went with regular PC cases, nothing fancy, i7 processors. PSU are 1000 watt in case I need it, but I only measure 550 watts on max render at the outlet.

Electircy is $0.40 per killowatt hour, so there is a small cost with that. I had to do some wiring in the building that runs the 5 nodes, 15 amp circuit for 2 boxes, and 20 amp circuit with 3 boxes.

Basically, I did a spreadsheet with options ahead of time to see what the end costs would be whether I went with a box with 4 GPUs or boxes with 2 GPUs...it was little cheaper with 2 GPUs per box...plus if anything fails, I'm not spending $300 for a MB, or $600 for a processor, its more like $100 and $330, respectively.

Just start thinking it out on a spreadsheet, and you'll be able to see what things cost.
      Last edited by biochemical_animations; 09-02-2017, 11:41 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by biochemical_animations View Post
        I just finished my second farm, gpu based. I went with motherboards that could handle 2 cards each. Went with regular PC cases, nothing fancy, i7 processors. PSU are 1000 watt in case I need it, but I only measure 550 watts on max render at the outlet.

Electircy is $0.40 per killowatt hour, so there is a small cost with that. I had to do some wiring in the building that runs the 5 nodes, 15 amp circuit for 2 boxes, and 20 amp circuit with 3 boxes.

Basically, I did a spreadsheet with options ahead of time to see what the end costs would be whether I went with a box with 4 GPUs or boxes with 2 GPUs...it was little cheaper with 2 GPUs per box...plus if anything fails, I'm not spending $300 for a MB, or $600 for a processor, its more like $100 and $330, respectively.

Just start thinking it out on a spreadsheet, and you'll be able to see what things cost.
        That's an excellent info! thanks for sharing. What kind of cards did you put into the machines?
        Dmitry Vinnik
        Silhouette Images Inc.
        ShowReel:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
        https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

980 ti's classified b-stock evga's
          Last edited by biochemical_animations; 12-02-2017, 10:26 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Working...
          X