Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wowsers, Max2017 seems an unwieldy beast!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wowsers, Max2017 seems an unwieldy beast!

How do people find Max2017?

It's probably the usual teething problems of having something new, but we are having quite a few headaches with file and display performance so far. I had hoped that as it was on SP3 (hot fix 1.1) it would be 'ok' by now.

One chap has some pretty major performance issues with his project so he is going back to 2016 for now. In Max2017, the scene (which - granted- is fairly heavy with Forest pro objects, trees, shrubs etc) barely loads. RPManager doesn't seem to be functioning properly either.

The same scene loads flawlessly in Max 2016 without issue.

It is so difficult finding the right time to upgrade software. With many concurrent projects, there is never a perfect moment.
    Kind Regards,
    Richard Birket
    ----------------------------------->
    http://www.blinkimage.com

----------------------------------->

Originally posted by tricky View Post
    It is so difficult finding the right time to upgrade software. With many concurrent projects, there is never a perfect moment.
    What seems to me to be the most problematic is the fact (if I trust what I hear, what I read here and there) that we have an unstable 3ds max 2017 !!!
    (Sorry for my bad english)

Comment

I think the rule is stick to even numbered releases - and only update after the version following that has been released.

Comment

I fought with it since April, but now, after the service packs, I like it. I had the issue with Walls & Tiles, but once that was removed, the viewport issues were resolved. You don't need Walls & Tiles in the scene, just installed, for it to seriously break something in MAX.
        Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com
        e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
        phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
        • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
        • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

hoping they bring out more fixes soon. don't forget update 1 which includes the new blendbox map and Data channel modifier, also lots of fixes.
          http://up.autodesk.com/2017/3DSMAX/3...17_Update1.msp
          http://up.autodesk.com/2017/3DSMAX/3...Readme_enu.htm

Comment

One of the worst releases.
            I understand usual 3dsmax behaviour, but hey, when it crashes randomly on "cut","connect" or "weld" on usual polygonal modelling.... I am sorry - i will pass it. Working on 2016 now, no problems at all for now. They don't have money for good testers or something ?
            Available for remote work.
            My LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/olegbudeanu/

Comment

Originally posted by Oleg_Budeanu View Post
              One of the worst releases.
              I understand usual 3dsmax behaviour, but hey, when it crashes randomly on "cut","connect" or "weld" on usual polygonal modelling.... I am sorry - i will pass it. Working on 2016 now, no problems at all for now. They don't have money for good testers or something ?
              That "cut" crash problem has been there for longer than I care to remember. I've made the switch about 6 months ago and all things considered, it's not been more or less stable for me than 2016. And I'm certainly not one to usually defend AD but we cant expect beta testers to account for the shitload of scripts, plugins and external assets with all stack on top of it. But hey, 2018 is coming out in a couple of months from now...

Comment

Originally posted by Franx View Post
                That "cut" crash problem has been there for longer than I care to remember. I've made the switch about 6 months ago and all things considered, it's not been more or less stable for me than 2016. And I'm certainly not one to usually defend AD but we cant expect beta testers to account for the shitload of scripts, plugins and external assets with all stack on top of it. But hey, 2018 is coming out in a couple of months from now...
                I am working for 2 months already in 2016 - only single crash. 2017 crashed like 3 times a week. I don't use "shitload" of scripts plugins and etc. But their job is to test BASIC stability. That's exactly where autodesk completely sux. Not to mention A LOT of other issues.
                Yeah 2018 incoming with ... what ? New super stingray integration ? New background for viewport ?
                They should take off 2-3 years to resolve shitload of problems, incorporate proper multithreading and other stuff which community has been begging for years now.
                But hey, let's just earn money.
                Available for remote work.
                My LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/olegbudeanu/

Comment

Personally I'm just so tired of autodesk and 3dsmax's endless bugs. I don't understand how could they brake so much stuff from 2016 to 2017. Since i started learning Houdini it has been a relief (and a struggle at the same time), i can't remember the last time it crashed, and most of the stuff just work, period. Can't wait for Vray for Houdini, and their 16 release looks fenomenal.

Comment

Yep, same here. Constant bugs and broken/unfinished tools. I'm waiting to see what Blender 2.8 brings to the table. I heard it's going to have a proper layering system with nesting capabilities which is a big thing for me. It could be the first time we move part of our work (at first the smaller scale jobs) off 3ds Max to another 3d app.
                    Last edited by Alex_M; 11-02-2017, 03:39 PM.
                    Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1 ( 6.20.06 )
                    AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Comment

Originally posted by Alex_M View Post
                      Yep, same here. Constant bugs and broken/unfinished tools.
                      You haven't tried maya 2017...................................
                      Dmitry Vinnik
                      Silhouette Images Inc.
                      ShowReel:
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
                      https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Originally posted by Moriah View Post
                        Personally I'm just so tired of autodesk and 3dsmax's endless bugs. I don't understand how could they brake so much stuff from 2016 to 2017. Since i started learning Houdini it has been a relief (and a struggle at the same time), i can't remember the last time it crashed, and most of the stuff just work, period. Can't wait for Vray for Houdini, and their 16 release looks fenomenal.
                        I watched few videos on modeling in houdini and ... cringed
                        Luke Szeflinski
                        :: www.lukx.com cgi

Comment

In my experience 3ds max 2017 is quite stable the only thing that drives me up the wall is that their new selection system doesn't work sometimes. When I hover over adjacent edges I get the selection preview for loops or rings, but when I click to confirm nothing happens. So I have to deselect and reselect the edges and than maybe it works.
                          Cheers,
                          Oliver

https://www.artstation.com/mokiki

Comment

Originally posted by tricky View Post
                            How do people find Max2017?

It's probably the usual teething problems of having something new, but we are having quite a few headaches with file and display performance so far. I had hoped that as it was on SP3 (hot fix 1.1) it would be 'ok' by now.

One chap has some pretty major performance issues with his project so he is going back to 2016 for now. In Max2017, the scene (which - granted- is fairly heavy with Forest pro objects, trees, shrubs etc) barely loads. RPManager doesn't seem to be functioning properly either.

The same scene loads flawlessly in Max 2016 without issue.

Doesn't he have GTX970 by any chance?

Comment

we are upgrading studio wide from 2014 this week
                              unsure if its a good idea now but we skipped 2015 and 2016 due to them being broken as well!

Comment

Working...
                              X