fovo - non linear projection rendering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fovo - non linear projection rendering

i was reading about this at the weekend. it seems like a very useful concept for interiors, especially in tight spaces that can be difficult to render in first person.
    the end result looks more natural to me than a linear render, although perhaps the examples shown in the proof of concept video are a little extreme?

concept video is here; https://vimeo.com/303900082

to be able to render out a 160 degree FOV and for it to appear "natural" would be great.

any thoughts?

"FOVO is a new graphics rendering process that is designed to emulate human vision rather than cameras. It replaces the core linear perspective projection method used in current imaging technologies with a more flexible and more natural non-linear projection method."

https://www.fovotec.com/

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - hunter s. thompson

It looks similar to the physcam cubic distortion.
    I wonder if an accurately made texture/.lens file wouldn't manage this.
    Lele
    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
    ----------------------
    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

.lens file will do just fine. looks quite similar to panini projection on first glance.
      try this (not so extreme fov):
      https://we.tl/t-2ggO8c5g0D
      Marcin Piotrowski
      youtube

Comment

​​In fact, i got very close to their shown results with a simple spherical-warped camera.
        Unlike for their samples, here the space shown is *exactly* the same.
        See attached images, both have 160 degrees of FoV.

Click image for larger version

Name:	default.png
Views:	992
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	1072920

Name:	warped-spherical.png
Views:	1011
Size:	273.9 KB
ID:	1072919
        Lele
        ----------------------

Disclaimer:
        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Originally posted by piotrus3333 View Post
          .lens file will do just fine. looks quite similar to panini projection on first glance.
          try this (not so extreme fov):
          https://we.tl/t-2ggO8c5g0D
          Cross posted, trying the vrlens file, ty for that!
          Mh, i don't seem to be able to make the lens file work, with or without it my render stays the same.
          Last edited by ^Lele^; 01-06-2020, 07:10 AM.
          Lele
          ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

my .lens file:
            Marcin Piotrowski
            youtube

Comment

Ah, you are very right, it does work.
              I was looking for a lot more frontal compression, and so i didn't notice: my bad.
              Lele
              ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

on second glance - fovo seems to be panini-like plus separate stretching for top and bottom (car interior: bottom is stretched).
                that would be awkward for interiors - no more straight vertical lines.
                Marcin Piotrowski
                youtube

Comment

Indeed, they take great care in showing trasformations with straight cameras (and in the car shot, the area shown is not exactly the same, some of the bottom part is missing.).
                  My sample above works just fine so long as the camera is parallel to the ground, but raise it looking up, and good grief.

Name:	up.png
Views:	995
Size:	621.7 KB
ID:	1072936
                  Lele
                  ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

ah yes, i wondered if the same or similar could be reproduced using a lens distortion.
                    i was imagining they had created something that allowed you to render more of the sides of objects (kind of like seeing around corners)

https://vimeo.com/371920562

there is another video here showing interiors and some realtime first person walkthroughs in unity or similar

looks like they have some vignette blurring around the edges as well to focus the view.
                    maybe it's more of a realtime approach they're looking at rather than static renders.

does a lens file in vray apply the changes to the viewport?
                    Last edited by s0real; 01-06-2020, 07:40 AM.

Comment

wonky mess haha. architecture is tricky with high fov.
                      anyway - any fancy projection helping with wide shots is more than welcome in vray.
                      I did mentioned it few years ago but the idea was left without much support - maybe it will get some now.
                      Post your wishlist here. Anything is possible so make sure you let us know what it is you want included in V-Ray.
                      Marcin Piotrowski
                      youtube

Comment

Yeah, that walkthrough is the one i was mentioning above, with the very straight camera. Notice they do not look up or down.
                        Lele
                        ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

there's a parallel camera projection modifier within max isn't there? although i haven't used it for years as i seem to remember it didn't play nicely with Vray...?

Comment

is there a way to preview the output using a vrlens file in the viewport or with RT?

Comment

interactive render should be enough for this.
                              viewport in max? not 2018 and older. newer - I don’t think so.
                              Marcin Piotrowski
                              youtube

Comment

Working...
                              X