Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real World Scale for Bump

Hi

I have a client asking for a texture that will be laser engraved into the resin of the product to an exact specification. This is important to them that it be as accurate to the real world depth as possible. It is a knurl pattern with a depth of 100 Microns. My questions is in Maya and Vray 3.6 what is the best way to ensure the depth is accurate? I believe only displacement is tied to real-world units but I'd rather use a bump or normal map because of the nature of the CAD I'm working with.

Does anyone have any insight into this?

Thanks

A bump or normal map is really just a visual cheat.
    As far as I can see you have two options, the first using a displacement map with the correct settings, the second would be using a bump or normal map and dialing it in to match a photograph of the real item. (you will need to match your photograph lighting in CG).

Comment

The VRayColor2Bump in 3ds max has a height value that uses realworld values, like cm. Depending how your unit setup is in 3ds max.

However i do not know how accurate this is, and how well it actually relates to real world values.

Comment

I know this thread a a couple of month's old but on the rare occasion such as this where you are being asked to generate a very specific cut pattern, maybe it'd be worth the trouble to actually model it out? If it's a typical "knurl pattern" it's usually just a a pattern of little pyramid shapes etched into the object. You could probably create this pattern with a ProBooleans operation. I mean sure, it's a tedious process but if it's like what's below, you could do it in an hour or two.

The other option would be find a friend who works on ProEngineer or SolidWorks. Those programs all have knurling operations built in. They could apply it the base object for you and export it as STEP ".stp" model.
        Doug
        www.douglasbowker-motiongraphics.com/

Comment

Working...
        X