Will VRay Next be availbe for 3ds Max 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will VRay Next be availbe for 3ds Max 2022

I just downloaded and installed 3ds Max 2022 from 2020 and saw that only Vray5 was available for download. Will VRay Next be available for 2022?

Unfortunately V-Ray Next will not be supported for 3dsMax 2022.

Drop us a mail at support@chaosgroup.com for more help.
    Last edited by borislav.stefanov; 13-04-2021, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Here Vlado says, it will:
      https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...t-for-max-2022

I'm confused?!?

Comment

There will be no official support. There might be unofficial builds later this year, but there is no timeframe for that. Like Borislav said above - drop a line at support@chaosgroup.com

The rule is that - only the newest version of V-Ray will be updated to be compatible with new versions of the host application.
        If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
        Chaos

Comment

how extremely disappointing.

Comment

I think its only logical and makes sense from any point of view i take it
            Martin
            http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

So...in conclusion. Seems to me that we need to buy the latest Vray or at least upgrade it. That´s the kind of support that we expect from chaosgroup. =\

Comment

well, at least they still authorize your old software...
                Best Regards

Tomek

Portfolio: http://dtown.pl/

Comment

as many others, I find it also very very disappointing, that Vray next is not coming for Max 2022.
                  At least it´s only half a Year or so in the Past, Vray 5 had been released. This is too fast. SO I am Confuse now: Vlado vs. Peter Mantanov.. who´s words are right?

Originally posted by slizer View Post
                  There will be no official support. There might be unofficial builds later this year, but there is no timeframe for that. Like Borislav said above - drop a line at support@chaosgroup.com

The rule is that - only the newest version of V-Ray will be updated to be compatible with new versions of the host application.
                  ...a sad Rule!. I had in good memories, that still 2-3 Versions of Max had been on the support download page offered to clients by Chaosgroup... Even in Autodesk, you can save up to 3 "years" ago your scenes.

Originally posted by narayan View Post
                  So...in conclusion. Seems to me that we need to buy the latest Vray or at least upgrade it. That´s the kind of support that we expect from chaos group. =\
                  So it works, when youré more successful - you can gain less to the Customers In the early days of Vray it was different - there they made Service to the Customers... a pitty.
                  It´s really time to have a look at Arnold. I more likely about buying a bigger Computer for compensating a bit the lack of speed to Arnold later, than following this strange support strategy of Chaos. Arnold as a well-looking render engine, well developed so far and NO stress with update/ upgrade trouble on 3rd Parties.

also keep in Mind: Vray 5 is ~10-15% slower than Vray Next (Indoor Scenes)... which also brings a possible speed argument farther away from Arnold.

Originally posted by PIXELBOX_SRO View Post
                  I think its only logical and makes sense from any point of view i take it
                  What's that about? to only support the latest Vrayversion with the latest Hostapp. ? What are these points of views? I don't have the money, especially in this Covid times to buy software like hell. I am so glad, that Autodesk now gives like any other good Softwaresmithy the opportunity to get an Indie license now.
                  I bought vray next last year. it just because of the pressure losing my main vray license with one of last buckets I had. Now I am forced to buy an upgrade to Vray 5 to get pleasure using 3D Max 2022... I dont know how that should work? I spent now the very last day of chance to buy Vray next, and now I feel like kicked in my *** .. Sorry guys - thats really dissapointing!

best Regards,
                  Kay

Comment

Hi Everyone,

We certainly see some of your passion here in wanting older V-Ray versions to run on newer versions. What we haven't seen stated here are any production reasons for needing to do so. In short, it would be helpful for us to know what is making you move to a new 3ds Max version yet render with the older V-Ray version. If you need pixel compatibility with the older V-Ray version, then it seems you would also need to be running on the older 3ds Max as well.

Unlike others, Chaos goes to great lengths to support older 3ds Max versions (with V-Ray 5 supporting 7 versions) so you don't usually need to upgrade your 3ds Max to use the latest V-Ray innovations. That said, we need you on the latest V-Ray so we can actively support you with fixes and improvements while providing you our best solution.

Kind regards,

- Phil

- Phil

VP Product Management, Chaos Group

Comment

Hi Phil,

Can´t Chaos imagine, that some here are not having the budget for getting always the newest Versions of Software? Why is Chaos throwing them out of the Boat?

Supporting 7 Versions of older 3D max...Well, I guess it´s pretty easy to compile downwards for older Hostversions - but getting an older version of Vray to a newer version of Max, simply doesn´t bring Money to Chaos.

And besides that: Vray 5 is simply much slower than Next. Who want´s a slower Renderer? If Vray should get GPU performance like Redshift for Instance it may be a game-changer.
                      But - well you did a great Job on the Framebuffer and did some other nice improvements - but it doesn't fulfill the need of having this necessarily under daily production circumstances.

Kind regards & thanks for listening

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Miller View Post
                        Hi Everyone,

We certainly see some of your passion here in wanting older V-Ray versions to run on newer versions. What we haven't seen stated here are any production reasons for needing to do so.
                        Vray5 is not a good value upgrade for us. The new version of max is and we'd like to use it. The new max tools will directly benefit our production workflow and make it quicker, vray5 will not.

Are you finding that sales have not been as great and need to be a little more restrictive to try and force more upgrades? Vray switching to a 18-24 month release schedule with each release costing us around $13k was bad enough, but now you're also stopping people from upgrading max unless they stay current on vray too?
                        Bear in mind chaos group will always be judged by their past actions - and in the space of a year the price has shot up considerably, the release window has been pretty much halved, and you've implemented this policy. it's a big shift in consumer goodwill.

Comment

Originally posted by caypiranha View Post

And besides that: Vray 5 is simply much slower than Next. Who want´s a slower Renderer? If Vray should get GPU performance like Redshift for Instance it may be a game-changer.
                          I really haven't seen actual data that confirms any for those statements. Every time someone says something like this we request scenes, then either there are no scenes sent over or the ones that we receive render the same in terms of quality/time ratio.

https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...12#post1074112

So if you have proof of the opposite we'll be more than happy to check your scenes.
                          If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
                          Chaos

Comment

Originally posted by slizer View Post

I really haven't seen actual data that confirms any for those statements. Every time someone says something like this we request scenes, then either there are no scenes sent over or the ones that we receive render the same in terms of quality/time ratio.

https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...12#post1074112

So if you have proof of the opposite we'll be more than happy to check your scenes.

Hello Peter,

when I have Time I can send you this Scene, wich I showed also here (link) - there is a screenshot, which shows the render times as a screenshot. I installed one after another 3.6, Next, and 5. No changes (!) to anything at all. The scene´s build version is Vray Next. Just Loading the scene after install and hit render:

https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...getting-slower

(small violet purple thumbnail)

The Thread discusses the Speed of Vray 5 in general, where some Peoples having found this appearance. Don't Know what they did, but my scene is untouched - no fancy materials, all Indoor, no Lightdome. I will have a look at it to send you the scene when I have time next few days.

Don´t you agree with this statement over here? Me and a lot here around absolutely do with certainty.

Originally posted by Neilg View Post

Vray5 is not a good value upgrade for us. The new version of max is and we'd like to use it. The new max tools will directly benefit our production workflow and make it quicker, vray5 will not.

Are you finding that sales have not been as great and need to be a little more restrictive to try and force more upgrades? Vray switching to a 18-24 month release schedule with each release costing us around $13k was bad enough, but now you're also stopping people from upgrading max unless they stay current on vray too?
                            Bear in mind chaos group will always be judged by their past actions - and in the space of a year the price has shot up considerably, the release window has been pretty much halved, and you've implemented this policy. it's a big shift in consumer goodwill.

Choasgroup is just screwing the thumbscrew to their Clients more and more. A Gun on the Chest isn´t that useful either or?. Is Chaosgroup believing that they are irreplaceable? Hopeful not.

Last edited by caypiranha; 28-04-2021, 02:03 AM.

Comment

It is unfortunate that the tools' costs excel the profit of simple visualisations outside of hollywood by now. I hoped for a different outcome, but I have expected that behavior from "chaos"... rebranding is not cheap .

In the end if we cannot afford a good, yet overpriced software considering the alternatives, SWITCH! Maybe it's time to get out of your comfort zone (this includes Autodesk)... Overall the spirit to expand our horizon and learn a new piece of software is why we're all doing CGI in the first place.

Arguing won't help Chaos realize this is cutting of a great part of their customers, action will.
                              Last edited by rasmus; 28-04-2021, 04:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X