Blend Mode "Add" looks wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blend Mode "Add" looks wrong

When I mix several layers with blend mode Add, the result looks way to bright. Here are two images showing blending with Add in Pdplayer and Fusion. Here I am mixing 7 lights rendered individually. The Fusion version looks correct (identical to a render of all 7 lights together).

The renderings where saved as 16 bit float EXRs.

Maybe there is some setting I missed or maybe this is a bug.

Cheers, Florian
    Florian von Behr
    CG Supervisor
    The Scope GmbH
    Behance

It could be a bug. Is there a chance to send us the output files for investigation?
    Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
    Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

No need to send anything, I managed to replicate it here even with simple scene.
      I'll discuss that with our developer and will let you know when I got his feedback.

Comment

Here is why the blending is incorrect.
        PDPlayer blending features are developed to operate with 8bit images. EXR files are linear and when they are blended with ADD operator the result would be incorrect.

Possible workaround is to load EXR files with sRGB Color Space and add Adjustment layer on top with Linear Color Space.
        This would make the blending accurate but you will loose some precision in the darkest areas on the image.

Here is a sample PDPplayer composition that demonstrate that workaround:
        http://ftp.chaosgroup.com/support/sc...2_pdplayer.zip

Comment

Working...
        X