Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ocean/water sim merging

hi all,

i have seen some scenarios where a wake of the ship is merged with a ocean(plane) object seamlessly. there is a great ship tutorial but it kind of zaps through the ocean aspect.
    not sure what the principle of it is, but it seems that the ocean is added at rendertime and created with a phoenix ocean material.

i dont use vray and have moved on from 3dsmax. is there any sort of workaround for this in c4d/octane?
    i´d probably export the alembic mesh but not sure how foam and the ocean merging can be recreated, if at all possible.

any tips would be appreciated.

Hey,

Indeed the Phoenix Ocean is created at rendertime. You guessed it right - you could export the ocean mesh as an alembic file.
    You could export the particles (foam,splashes,etc.) as alembic as well. Check out the video here - https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...cachetoAlembic

Cheers,
    Georgi Zhekov
    Phoenix Product Manager
    Chaos

Comment

cheers georgi,

thank you very much for a quick reply. i will look into the link you posted.
      i plan to test it as soon as i have some downtime, just a few follow up questions:

are foam and the liquid saved as separate alembic caches?

any tips on seamlessly merging alembic sim with other geometry/waterplane in other software packages?
      i cant imagine there is a general all purpose workaround besides compositing but would like to ask nonetheless.
      any tips or ideas are very welcome.

regards,
      Last edited by Muadeeb; 03-06-2019, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Hey, yes - separate particle systems (foam, splash, mist...) can be exported to separate alembics from 3ds Max by exporting the "Particles [] of []" nodes separately. Alembic will only contain only the raw particle info though - positions, sizes, ids, etc, so without the Phoenix Particle Shader which procedurally creates bubbles, points or fog from that data, you could e.g. instance Spheres over the particle system if you with to render bubbles.
        Svetlin Nikolov, Ex Lead Phoenix developer

Comment

awesome. looking forward to testing this out.

cheers,

Comment

Hi Muadeeb,

Could you try the export and move anything to C4D ? You experience with this would really be of interest.

cheers

Olivier
            www.mirage-cg.com

Comment

Working...
            X