Having a liquid "set" once it hits a objects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having a liquid "set" once it hits a objects

Im really really new to phoenix and trying to do my first actual job with it.
    I have this gold pouring onto a object and I want it to set similar to it cooling down, so basicly have the viscosity start going up once it hits the object or if thats not possible have it set based on age.
    Is this possible and how would I do it?

Hey,

Using the Phoenix 3.99 Beta builds (here - https://www.chaosgroup.com/beta_forms/phoenix_3ds_max) you can use the Particle Tuner and use the Distance as a condition so when the particles are near the object the viscosity will go up.
    You can do that based on the Age as well, just make sure that in the Output rollout you have the Age checkbox enabled for the liquid particles.

You can find more about the Particle Tuner here - https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...Particle+Tuner

Cheers,
    Georgi Zhekov
    Phoenix Product Manager
    Chaos

Comment

Originally posted by georgi.zhekov View Post
      Hey,

Using the Phoenix 3.99 Beta builds (here - https://www.chaosgroup.com/beta_forms/phoenix_3ds_max) you can use the Particle Tuner and use the Distance as a condition so when the particles are near the object the viscosity will go up.
      You can do that based on the Age as well, just make sure that in the Output rollout you have the Age checkbox enabled for the liquid particles.

You can find more about the Particle Tuner here - https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...Particle+Tuner

Cheers,
      Thanks I will try that out!
      On another note about viscosity, when I set the viscosity in a liquid src it does'nt change anything, I can set it to 1 and it still flows as water, setting the default viscosity in the liquid sim however works. What am I doing wrong? You're supposed to be able to set different viscositys for different sources right?

Comment

You gotta enable either particle or grid Viscosity in the simulation Output rollout of the Simulator - otherwise it will not be simulated. Since one source can emit fluid in several simulators, having some fluid channel enabled in the Source won't make the simulator automatically pick it up.

Cheers!
        Svetlin Nikolov, Ex Lead Phoenix developer

Comment

Thanks for all the help so far.
          Im using the Particle tuner and it seems to work great, I just need to finetune the settings.
          However, Im running into a issue where the liquid is creeping around when its set and sticking to a surface. Any ideas what I can do remedy this?
          The liquid should be viscosity 1 at this point and sticky liquid is set to 1.
          https://www.dropbox.com/s/xqkla1ab47...oblem.mp4?dl=0

Comment

Magic

Note that viscosity 1 and sticky 1 do not mean that the liquid will turn into a rigid body - it's still fluid so it's still prone to a lot of factors. Could it be that there is surface tension for the liquid as well? Or any other forces affecting it?

Comment

No other forces, surface tension is at 0.25, I will try a sim with surface tension 0 but then Im guessing I will lose some properties that I want

Comment

Ah, then it sounds like the surface tension is the major suspect since it's set quite high. Unfortunately yes - the liquid is going to change a lot if you zero it, but let's see if this will make it stop moving near the geometry...

Comment

Yes it seems the surface tension is the problem, I did a lowres sim with surface tension 0 and that fixed it.. but ofcourse, the behaviour of the liquid changed quite alot too.
                  Any ideas how I could achieve similar result minus the creeping? Im thinking maybe up the default viscosity to compensate for the lack of surface tension.

Comment

Hmmm, a bit of viscosity might help, but it won't be the same... Another thing you could try would be to again use a tuner and force the speed of the particles near the geometry to 0.0... However I can't remember if we have this for the 3.99 beta release - it might not be implemented in the official build yet. If not, you could use a more complicated method for the same result - a Mapper with black texture map affecting the speed channel - this will zero the speed of the particles, and a mask for the mapper which would be a vray distance texture that uses the geometry and is white near it and black away from it - this will confine the mapper effect of zeroing the velocity only near the geometry.

Comment

Working...
                    X