Phoenix FD and GPU Supported features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoenix FD and GPU Supported features

Hi there, do you have a link to V-ray GPU (Maya) for Phoenix FD currently supported features. This is so I can plan projects in advance if they will need to be rendered with CPU or GPU.

Also, is the PhoenixFDParticleTexture on of these features not currently supported for wetmaps. It renders fine with CPU, but with GPU it just takes the Base Material, unless I am doing something wrong or alternative method for rendering it with the GPU?

Thanks

Hey,

That's right - none of the four Phoenix textures is currently supported on GPU as a map. Since the ocean mesh is built at pre-render, the ocean tex can be used as ocean displacement though. We'll be looking at those, but first we need to finish the fire/smoke rendering. We need to implement rendering for the Particle Shader on GPU as well and this is likely to take a while as well. The fire/smoke rendering will be in the next V-Ray 4 beta and at the moment it doesn't support motion blur, textures and illumination over the scene, on itself and between simulators can be achieved only via GI.

Cheers!
    Svetlin Nikolov, Ex Lead Phoenix developer

Comment

Thank you Svetlin for letting me know.

Comment

We need to implement rendering for the Particle Shader on GPU as well and this is likely to take a while as well.
        That's superb news!

(Maya) in the meantime, I'm instancing spheres to Nparticles linked to PhoenixSplash etc. It's convoluted workaround, but it works for what I need. The only problem really is lack of motion blur.
        Is there a toggle or process I'm overlooking to get NParticle instances to motion blur ?

Comment

Just checking whats working and workflow for beta 2 and phoenix. I've got vray beta 2 setup on max 2018, should the GPU volumetric rendering be working with vrays volumegrid or is it only via a nightly build of phoenix for vray 4? Thanks

*Actually I should have started a new thread sorry!

Tested it so far and volume rendering works when C++/CPU is enabled. Does not work when it is just the GPU being used so does that mean it only works like the old RT setup?
          Last edited by flipbook; 22-02-2018, 05:57 AM.
          Adam Trowers

Comment

Hang in there We first waited for the Beta 2 release to come out before we can start migrating Phoenix for V-Ray 4 to the new V-Ray SDK updates in Beta 2 - it should take a couple of days and I hope by the end of the week the "vray4" nightlies will switch from being compatible with Beta 1 to Beta 2.

I will post in the Announcements section when it's done

Comment

Ah ok cool, thanks
              Adam Trowers

Comment

.... aaaand it's done Since today's nightlies the Phoenix 'vray4' builds are now compatible with V-Ray Next Beta 2.

Now we can render Phoenix fire and smoke on the GPU

Comment

awesome news
                  Adam Trowers

Comment

Originally posted by Svetlin.Nikolov View Post
                    .... aaaand it's done Since today's nightlies the Phoenix 'vray4' builds are now compatible with V-Ray Next Beta 2.

Now we can render Phoenix fire and smoke on the GPU
                    You guys are better than Xmas!! thank you for all your hard work chaps.

Comment

Working...
                    X