Smoke not adjusting adaptive grid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoke not adjusting adaptive grid

I can't figure out why the smoke from my sim isn't adjusting the adaptive grid after a certain point. I have the threshold at 0.001 and the extra margin at 10. I attached an image showing the issue and settings.

Hmmm, how much RAM do you have? Does setting Preallocate Memory to Disabled make a difference?
    Svetlin Nikolov, Ex Lead Phoenix developer

Comment

I have 32 gigs, and haven't tried the disabled setting, I can try that tonight.

Comment

Same result

Comment

Can you check your Phoenix log for any errors? If there are no errors - can you send us the scene so we can find out what is going on?

Thank you,
          Georgi Zhekov
          Phoenix Product Manager
          Chaos

Comment

Not sure where to get the log file. I have emailed the file we're having issue with. In the mean time, we're going to try to simulate the file on a system with more memory and see if we get the same issue.

Comment

Hey,

Here is how to access the Phoenix log: https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...ces-Parameters

Cheers!

Comment

Hello again,

Got the scene, we are running it right now and we'll ping you when we know more.

Cheers!

Comment

Hey,

Here is the simulation we got: https://drive.google.com/open?id=17V...hzTBeatrarwPgI

The adaptive grid is expanding all the time on our machine - does it stop expanding completely for you?

If you get the same results as the video, try increasing the extra margin to like 30-40-50 voxels, so the smoke has more space left to swirl, otherwise the air currents are very limited and even though the wall is open, Phoenix cannot predict how they will behave outside the grid.

In order not to get too large expansion in all the other 5 directions, you can set adaptive limits.

Cheers!

Comment

We got the email back from support, and it was creating that "wall" when they tested it. We played around more and found it was only happening when we used the wind force on the smoke. Removing it, or reducing the wind amount seems to stop the smoke "wall" against the grid.

Comment

Have you opened a second support ticket? I am looking at 256-404-538.

Yes - I assumed you want the wind in the scene and don't want to remove it, so the extra margin would be the way to allow the smoke to roll better against the grid wall the wind pushes it towards.

Cheers!

Comment

I replied to the original ticket.

Comment

Working...
                        X