• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• latest phoenix for vray 3 failed to initialize with backburner

Hi there,
    stucked with that one, as the title says,
    i upgraded today the latest phoenix version from yesterday,
    now when i want to start a renderjob via backburner, on the rendernodes max won`t start because of failed to initialize phoenixfd.dlr?
    Never had a problem with that.
    Simple teapot testscene same result, when i uninstall phoenix on the rendernodes it`s working again,
    donwloaded the nightly from today, no change... any suggestion on that one?
    Thanks i advance!
    OLIKA
    www.olika.de

Oh, if it says it failed to initialize phoenix.dlr, this is a very strong sign that Phoenix and V-Ray are mismatched on the machines. Which Phoenix and V-Ray versions do you use? Could it be that you are installing Phoenix for vray3 + V-Ray Next Beta or Phoenix for vray4 + V-Ray 3.6?
    Svetlin Nikolov, Ex Lead Phoenix developer

Comment

Hi,

We are experiencing the same problem submitting Phoenix 3.10 jobs to Deadline. We are using V-Ray 3.6 for Max 2016.

Rendering works fine locally and when rendering via Deadline on workstations.

Comment

Thanks guys, we're trying to reproduce it here as well...

Comment

Hey,
          Seems to be working on our side.

Can you send us the exact error messages and the installer names for Phoenix and V-Ray that you are using?

Thanks,
          Last edited by Svetlin.Nikolov; 16-02-2018, 07:43 AM.
          Georgi Zhekov
          Phoenix Product Manager
          Chaos

Comment

Hi,

These are the installers:

phoenixFD_adv_31000_max2016_vray_30_x64.exe
            vray_adv_36004_max2016_x64.exe

Below an excerpt from the error log:

2018/02/16 15:40:37 ERR: [04692] [12552] DLL <C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2016\plugins\vrayplugins\phoenixfd.dlr> failed to initialize. Error code 126 - The specified module could not be found.
            ----
            2018/02/16 15:40:50 DBG: [04692] [12552] Starting network
            2018/02/16 15:40:59 INF: [04692] [12552] [V-Ray] V-Ray DLL version is 3.60.04
            2018/02/16 15:40:59 WRN: [04692] [12552] Missing dll: phoenixfd.dlr - PhoenixFDOceanTex
            2018/02/16 15:40:59 WRN: [04692] [12552] Missing dll: phoenixfd.dlr - PhoenixFDFoamTex
            2018/02/16 15:40:59 WRN: [04692] [12552] Missing dll: phoenixfd.dlr - LiquidSim
            2018/02/16 15:40:59 WRN: [04692] [12552] Missing dll: phoenixfd.dlr - PHXFoam
            2018/02/16 15:40:59 WRN: [04692] [12552] Missing dll: phoenixfd.dlr - PhoenixFD Atmosphere
            ----

Thanks

Comment

Very weird. If you log into a sim node, can you start 3ds Max and create a Phoenix simulator without problems?
              Last edited by Svetlin.Nikolov; 16-02-2018, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Sadly no, I get the popup with "failed to initialize phoenixfd.dlr" error message when starting the 3ds Max application.

Comment

Sounds like a bad installation then. If this does not happen on a workstation and only on the node, you have to look for the differences between the files in the ...\3ds Max 2016\plugins directory.

One other thing that comes to mind is to run both the Phoenix and the V-Ray installations explicitly as Administrator. If this does not help, would it be possible to zip and send me over the phoenixfd.dlr from 3ds Max 2016\plugins\vrayplugins? Also, except for V-Ray and Phoenix, which other plugins do you have installed? It might be caused by a third plugin, though we didn't have such issues before.

Cheers!

Comment

Hm seems like i`m not the only one having issues,
                    i was aware to check if it`s for same version,
                    double triple checked and installed it (as admin etc. ) cause installing updates many times before for years...therefore also checked if there's a new license server available
                    For me what is working right now, i grabbed an older nightly (guess i was 15.jan release) which is working in the means that backburner is starting at least.
                    So at least i can render jobs (scenes without phoenix) on my farm. Try that if it prevents you from rendering on the farm.
                    Can`t say something 'bout phoenix behavior with the old nightly though, not working on a phoenix scene right now.
                    OLIKA
                    www.olika.de

Comment

Thank you for the suggestions Svetlin,

Tried reinstalling with administrator rights, sadly no difference. The .dlr file is identical in size on both workstation and sim nodes. Also, we have several sim nodes with the same install which would rule out a bad installation as it is the same error on all slaves. Have a test going right now and it renders perfectly on the workstations as slaves As you mention Svetlin, we haven't had any problems with previous builds of phoenix with our third party plugins in the past, but I'll look more into this over the weekend and post an update. I'll try send you the .dlr file.

Thanks so far.

Comment

I know it is of no help but I use phoenix/backburner and it has workedfine on the latest release :S When I had that issue in the past it was indeed a bad install.
                        Adam Trowers

Comment

That's extremely weird and what's even nastier is that we can't reproduce it here. If by Monday we still haven't figured it out, is any one of you guys available for a remote session? I'd like to run the phoenix dlr through depends.exe and find out what the missing symbols are.

Either this, or comparing the entire setup of a working versus a non-working PC would answer this, but the latter would be more difficult. olika , are you running 2016 as well?

Comment

Hi Svetlin,
                            yes I'm on Max 2016
                            OLIKA
                            www.olika.de

Comment

Alright, the Jan 15 clue was a very helpful one! I prepared a 3.10 build for Max 2016 with a change that might be what you need - can you guys check if it fixes the issue?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jg...5J_IAtpWpTTycM

Alternatively, you could try installing the VC++ 2015 redistributable from Microsoft's site: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=48145

Please ping me if any of the two solutions does or does not work.

Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                              X