No announcement yet.

Embree raycaster for V-Ray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You need the official 2.3 build; nightlies or older builds won't work.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Ah that will be why!
      Chris Jackson
      Shiftmedia
      www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

comparison for Xeon E5520 (no AVX instructions)
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Embree montage copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	845705

Comment

nice speedup im interested to see what happens in physically very large scenes.. if i understand things correctly the limited precision available might manifest itsself as problems of some kind, more in big scenes. however its doubtful if i actaully -do- understand things so ho-hum. hopefully ill have time to test myself soon.

Comment

Sweet ! If ur 5520 works then my 5530 will work too =D
            CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

how can i double check if a cpu is good for this embree thing and avx?
              Alessandro

Comment

if its sandybridge or ivybridge core it will have avx capabilities.

if i understand correctly embree doesnt require a specific cpu, although it was written by intel and optimised for their cpu's

Comment

Wish they write more stuff like that ! Then every year I get 30% boost in renders by installing intel update than buying 5 000 pc!
                  CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
                    ooooh, what a way to sneak back in after a while... :P
                    Where have you been. I put up the Lele signal a while back in a thread, and no response.
                    Colin Senner

Comment

Hmmm... crashes Max every time with non-AVX on my Xeon X5687 (2 processors) rig. ....

Seems to have been scene specific. I created a new teapot scene and got a 30% speed improvement. 20seconds vs 31 seconds.

The problem scene crashes when I enable lights in the Vray General Settings.
                      Last edited by PixelJockey; 25-06-2012, 12:36 PM.

Comment

ok so i tried it (non avx version) on a giant masterplan scene with 45,000 trees and 1500 sq km of buildings. rendertime without: 8:07, rendertime with embree and the various tree types, between 7 mins 40 and 7 mins 50. one domelight in the scene.

so not a huge improvement in this case, and im not sure where or what to look for any errors... renders look the same to the naked eye.

be interesting to render a test anim, but no time at the mo.

my rig is an i7 920 at 3.8 with 24 gb ram. vray 2.30.01, max 2012 sp2 x64.

Comment

Make sure you set the "Default geometry" setting to "Static"; otherwise V-Ray will still do heavy geometry and instances with its regular raycaster.

Best regards,
                          Vlado
                          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Works VrayEmbree with CPU Intel I7 920 and os WinXPx64?
                            The plugin is not loaded in max2010: "Error Loading DLLs:<C:\Program Files .....................\vrayembreee2010.dlo> failed to inizialize. Error code 127

Comment

hmm you think its advisable to change the default geometry type to static? it already uses all 24 gig of ram in my system.. i thinkif it treated the 45000 instanced trees as copies i might have issues..

is it a big job to adapt the embree system to work with dynamic geometry? i cant remember the last scene i did that didnt rely heavily on instancing and proxies..

Comment

Dynamic geo is in general slower (not being part of the main bsp/bvh tree).
                                I think the idea of having it all static is a VERY good one in general if performance is an issue, and i can see why the BVH methods (which is based on bounding volumes' hierachies) don't, and won't work (in a performing way, ofc) with proxies or dynamic geo which still today obey the BSP rules (in the case of proxies, it's a binary space partitioning embedded in the file format, and for dynamic geo it's still a BSP built on the fly and discarded when not needed. Am i correct here, Vlado?).
                                It's more than a tack-on change, by any stretch of the imagination, even from a user's perspective...
                                Lele
                                Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                                ----------------------
                                emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                                The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Working...
                                X