No announcement yet.

Embree raycaster for V-Ray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have a scene they would like to share for testing that has been proven to render faster using this? I just ran some tests on a scene here and there wasn't much improvement so I wondered if perhaps it is my scene?

Dual Xeon E5-2650

Without Embree - 2m 50s
    Embree AVX (static) - default - 2m 36s
    Embree without AVX (static) - default - 2m 44s
    Embree AVX (static) - bvh4.spatial - 2m 37s
    Embree AVX (static) - bvh4 - 2m 39s

Comment

• Yes, I will try to post one a bit later. As I mentioned before, the Embree raycaster accelerates only simple triangle meshes, but very often scenes have all kinds of geometry - dynamic meshes, proxies, fur, displacement etc. If you leave the default geometry type in V-Ray to "auto", heavy meshes will be automatically treated as dynamic meshes to save RAM and they are not accelerated by Embree.

Finally, raycasting is only a part of the whole rendering process; very often a lot of time is spent on calculating textures, light samples, interpolating GI caches and so on. If you have complex materials, use irradiance map and/or light cache, Embree may not help that much.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

• Great, thanks for the detailed info.

Comment

• Originally posted by super gnu View Post
          im interested, what happens if you put the embree image over the standard image in photoshop and set the blending mode to "difference" .. its really identical?

Is it even possible to have two vray images with GI and glossy stuff the same? I think no matter how you render it will always be slightly different.
          Dusan Bosnjak
          http://www.dusanbosnjak.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by pailhead View Post
            Is it even possible to have two vray images with GI and glossy stuff the same?
            Yes; re-rendering the same image usually gets you the same result.

I think no matter how you render it will always be slightly different.
            It depends on the particular scene, but in many cases they will come out identical.

Best regards,
            Vlado

Comment

• I know embree isn't suppose to render displacement faster but is it suppose to render the things he can faster then leave the displacement to the normal ray caster?

Or is it normal it crash? Because right now it crash our scene with displacement.

Thx for clearing this out!

Jay.
              Last edited by jay_vortex; 23-04-2013, 11:35 AM.

Comment

• It's supposed to only handle the stuff that it can, and leave the rest to the normal raycaster. It's not normal for it to crash Which build is that btw? Have you tried a newer build?

Best regards,
                Vlado

Comment

• Oh,..it's on 2.10.01.

Forgot to update Vray before testing!

Will do that and report the differences.

Thx!

Comment

Working...
                  X