Material scanning service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Material scanning service

This has been in the works for a few years, but finally we are ready to go public:

http://vrscans.com/

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

This is extremely interesting! What is your plan for a library of VRscans materials? Will some be free, others pay as you go?

I gotta say, with the release of VRay 3.3 you guys are really rocking!

Comment

Awesome and a very pretty site.
      Bobby Parker
      www.bobby-parker.com
      e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
      phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
      • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
      • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
      • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

What kind of cost are we looking at to scan a material? For example - a damascus silk fabric?

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
          This has been in the works for a few years, but finally we are ready to go public:

http://vrscans.com/

Best regards,
          Vlado
          Ready to go public? It seems to still be missing a lot of information about how this works. The idea of being able the purchase the gear ourselves isn't happening? The shader balls with the fabric winkle and stitch - I'm guessing that's not part of what you'd expect, and more an elegant model mocked up to display the materials scanned.

How much will this cost? What type of materials can be scanned? Glass, Metal, Fabric? What size materials will you accept? Shape of material sample? I've been excited about this, but I had really hoped this would be something I could setup myself at the office. We have thousands of material samples that I'd promptly start digitizing and cataloging.
          Brendan Coyle | www.brendancoyle.com

Comment

Originally posted by cheerioboy View Post
            Ready to go public? It seems to still be missing a lot of information about how this works. The idea of being able the purchase the gear ourselves isn't happening? The shader balls with the fabric winkle and stitch - I'm guessing that's not part of what you'd expect, and more an elegant model mocked up to display the materials scanned.

How much will this cost? What type of materials can be scanned? Glass, Metal, Fabric? What size materials will you accept? Shape of material sample? I've been excited about this, but I had really hoped this would be something I could setup myself at the office. We have thousands of material samples that I'd promptly start digitizing and cataloging.
            Something must have slipped on publishing, we're working on rectifying that.

Little snippet from the faqs soon to be published:

​- Good materials – fabrics, leather, plastics, metal, wood, stone;
            - Bad materials – glass, skin;
            ​- We can only scan opaque materials;
            - We can only scan flat materials;
            - We can scan materials with texture depth not more than 1 mm;
            - Effective scanning area - Maximum material size is 200x200 mm and min material size is 20x20 mm;
            - Resolution limitation of 1px=6/100 mm;​
            It takes around a couple of hours to scan a sample, which can be gotten back to the user digitally or through physical dispatch.
            I suppose as far as "mass producing" the scanner to be sent around, it'll depend on the interest... ^^
            Lele
            Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
            ----------------------
            emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
            The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Thanks for all that info Lele, super helpful.

Interest on mass producing the scanner is probably largely dependant on the cost. Is there a rough cost that could be shared? To feel out if enough people would be willing to commit. I'm guessing it's quite pricey otherwise it probably would have been offered up from the beginning.

Seems like shipping materials to be scanned could be costly and a hassle, on top of the processing fees if it's taking several hours per material. Then again, depends how important it is to have accurate materials.

Oh another question. With the scanned material loaded into vray is there any ability to tweak on top for artistic purposes? Or maybe a way to bake down the vray scan into a vray material?

Thanks
              Brendan Coyle | www.brendancoyle.com

Comment

presumably with a maximum scan size of 200x200, youre not going to be able to use these materials on large architectural surfaces? the tiling would be awful. on that subject, are they set up to tile without seams?

Comment

The help file ought to be fairly current.
                  Tiling does magic with these materials, some early users were quite surprised at the results, and not in a bad way either.

http://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/V...VRayScannedMtl
                  Lele
                  Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                  ----------------------
                  emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                  The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

id like to see what it could do with a tray of sand. ive got a desert to texture.

im currently fannying round with scattered particles exported as alembics, but ill probably just go back to old fashioned bitmaps.

that would be a good tiling test

having said that im not sure you guys would want to get a tray of sand anywhere near your machine :P

Comment

Looks great!
                      I would purchase the leathers on the site if they were for sale.
                      Chris Jackson
                      Shiftmedia
                      www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

On the site it says somthing about a library of scanned materials. Any information on that?

Comment

Originally posted by super gnu View Post
                          having said that im not sure you guys would want to get a tray of sand anywhere near your machine :P
                          Well, a layer of sand can always be glued to a piece of cardboard or something...

Best regards,
                          Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by möbius View Post
                            On the site it says somthing about a library of scanned materials. Any information on that?
                            There is a library of about 56 materials (different types of cloth, leather, some metals). You can probably evaluate them if you are interested.

Best regrds,
                            Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                              Well, a layer of sand can always be glued to a piece of cardboard or something...

Best regards,
                              Vlado
                              yes! might have other uses too.. we could call it..... hmm.. sand-card? not very catchy..

Comment

Working...
                              X