No announcement yet.

VrayDR (start/stop) utility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks I gave that a try, but still said access denied. Not a big deal right now, since I only have 1 slave anyways.
    Tim Nelson
    timnelson3d.com

Comment

Dave,
      I understand now why you don't want to release the advanced version yet

Is your tool ignoring the vrayspawner if its a service?
      when I tried to click in the exe files I just got a fast dark screem, but it come and go so fast that I dont even know what does it means
      check this page for pstools instructions (the utility uses pstools for all remote operations)
      the command to start/stop a service is different than the command to start/kill an application.

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/fr.../pstools.shtml

As I mentioned, I'm allready doing this through some bat files I wrote, and I'm stoping the spawner service asexpected, but the command for starting it again after does not work. My syntax is correct:
      Code:
      FOR %%A IN (%rendernodes%) DO psservice start vrayspawner 60
      (Note: I have my machines defined in an array). Anyway, I can't get your app to kill the max processes on any machine, as I mentioned, either with ip addresses or machine names, so something definitely is borked here. Could you not add a button that works with the service as well?
      For people not operating in a domain, it took us quite some time to figure out why we could not access the machines remotely through pstools or the management console. It turned out to be the check box for "use simple file sharing" in the explorer settings dialogue. Once we turned this off for the machines on the network, everything worked like a charm......except the psservice start command
      Signing out,
      Christian

Comment

for your batchfile you're just missing the %%A, as you have it there, its just trying to start the vrayspawner in the local machine over and over again.. you need a target machine in the batch.

Code:
        FOR %%A IN (%rendernodes%) DO psservice \\%%A start vrayspawner 60
        And no its not hard, i've got one here starting and stopping the max backburner service, just a matter of getting around to combining them into something that can be passed out to people which apparently i was a little premature with..
        Dave Buchhofer. // Vsaiwrk

Comment

So, doing a little searching i see you can install the vrayspawner as a service by running vrayspawner60.exe -service.. How can you remove it as a service?

Comment

Eh....I have may machines defined in an array, and all the pstools commands are run this way in the bat file. I'm not sure what you're talking about. Ill post my bat file here:

Code:
            Title Vray DR Slave-Smackaroo

rem THIS FILE KILLS THE 3DSMAX PROCESS ON DESIGNATED COMPUTERS, THEN KILLS THE VRAYSPAWNER PROCESS, GOES ON TO STOP & START THE VRAYSPAWNER SERVICE AGAIN.

set rendernodes=slave1 slave2 slave3 slave4 slave5 slave6 slave7 slave8 slave9 slave10

FOR %%A IN (%rendernodes%) DO pskill \%%A 3dsmax
            REM FOR %%A IN (%rendernodes%) DO pskill \%%A vrayspawner60
            REM FOR %%A IN (%rendernodes%) DO psservice stop vrayspawner 60
            REM FOR %%A IN (%rendernodes%) DO psservice start vrayspawner 60

exit
            Now...after posting this i see what you mean....wich is strange, as i could swear those lines used to have the %%a in them where you point out.
            Also....the service is stopped, but not started. Hmmm..
            Anyway...the reason I state them one at a time instead of say using the restart command, is because it didnt seem to work....since the max process takes some minutes to stop......and in addition, one actually only needs to kill the max process to get DR working again, and can leave the spawner alone. Thats basically what im doing.
            Signing out,
            Christian

Comment

@dbuchhofer - This didn't do the trick?

http://www.chaoticdimension.com/foru...ic.php?t=10807
              LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
              HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
              Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Thanks juju, phpbb's search isn't so useful

I'd already removed it manually hehe...

I'll work in a service button and an exe button.. for you crazy cats using the service

Comment

My progress so far on WinXP (not installed as a service but ran via default windows startup menu):

1) Turn off 'simple file sharing'
                  2) Assign common usernames/passwords to all comps
                  3) Attempt to connect to remote comp via DRUtils after editing computer names/IP addresses in 'computers.ini' and ensuring path structure to vrayspawner60.exe in 'vraydrutils.ini.' Cannot connect
                  4) Command line attempt to connect to remote computer and start spawner:

c:/drutils/psexec //compname -i -d c:/3dsmax7/vrayspawner60.exe

PsExec v1.55 - Execute processes remotely
                  Copyright (C) 2001-2004 Mark Russinovich
                  Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

C:3dsmax7vrayspawner60.exe started on compname with process ID 2448.

5) Attempt from DRUtils interface to kill remote process. Failure
                  6) 1st attempt to kill process via command line. Failure:

C:/drutils>pskill //compname -i -d c:/3dsmax7/vrayspawner60.exe

7) 2nd attempt via 'proper' syntax. Success:

C:/drutils>pskill //compname 2448

....not sure if that helps. It appears the process number changes each time it is assigned. perhaps youre killing the process with some other method but pskill seems to want a number value assigned to it. Oh btw, I can't even kill Max and start/stop DR locally using DrUtils.

ps. perhaps jumping the gun but it would also be handy if the script if you could specify multiple locations for the executables as it's not always 'C:'.

Comment

6) 1st attempt to kill process via command line. Failure:

C:/drutils>pskill //compname -i -d c:/3dsmax7/vrayspawner60.exe
                    that should be:
                    pskill \compname vrayspawner60

Heres a dr utils 'debug' version that doesn't DO anything, but it will echo to a messagebox the correct commandline for the psutils.. might explain a bit easier. debug version

Edit the ini file
                    [Use Alternate Credentials]
                    true

if you want to supply a user/pass with the command..

updated the link in the first post... Cheers.

Comment

I hate to ask but why isn't the other one working from your GUI? It works fine from command line.

Comment

that is the question isn't it?

It works for several other people, so i'm not sure whats up with you.. do you have a computer selected in the list to run the command on?

Comment

Yes. On the computer I want it to start up, I have nothing running. I select the computer from your utility, then hit 'start dr.' Nothing still. Command line works fine.

My edited computers.ini file reads:

COMP1
                          COMP2

My edited vraydrutils.ini file reads the default:

Enter the Path to Vrayspawner below
                          C:3dsmax7
                          Enter the Vrayspawner EXE Below
                          vrayspawner60.exe

Comment

lets wander off into email.. i'm curious why also send me one..

Comment

;;;
                              Thanks
                              Mathew Everett
                              http://www.lappymats.com

Phillipians 4:13
                              "I can do all things, through Christ who strengthens me."

Comment

"I got it to work! ignore Post below"

I can get it to kill vray, but not start here is what I typed to see if I coul dget it to work!

psexec \\compname -i -d -u username -p password c:\3dsmax7\vrayspawner60.exe

and it says this.....

PsExec could not start c:\3dsmax7\vrayspawner60.exe on compname: Logon failure: unknown name or bad password.

now I know my pass and username i have double checked it like 50 times and it is a no go....

"I got it to work! ignore Post below"
                                Thanks
                                Mathew Everett
                                http://www.lappymats.com

Phillipians 4:13
                                "I can do all things, through Christ who strengthens me."

Comment

Working...
                                X