Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Point Cloud Rendering

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice on how to render point clouds using 3ds Max and Vray. I have imported a .rcs file using the Point Cloud object in 3ds max. The point cloud look ok in the viewport but when rendered it looks a bit washed out i.e. lacking saturation and contrast. See screen shots I've attached.

I also don't have any lighting in the scene currently.

Can anyone advise how I can make the point cloud look better? I would also like to be able to render point clouds with 3D models, including lighting. Has anyone done this type of thing before that can advise on a workflow or show me some examples?

This is the kind of thing I'd like to achieve: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SGkCX4rNKQ
    Attached Files
    Last edited by texo; 28-01-2019, 08:39 AM.

Hi Texo

I am currently struggling with this. My understanding of the issue is that the point cloud tool uses a gradient ramp material that VRay can't access, and i can't find a way to reassign the material or even which VRay material you would use.

I am talking to Autodesk who, despite not making VRay, are still willing to look at my scene and try and resolve the issue - I'll post any results here.

Cheers

Corey

Comment

Hi Coreym, thanks for your reply. Good and bad to hear someone else having the same issue. Any feedback you get from Autodesk would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Comment

Would it be possible to get me an example file like this to vlado@chaosgroup.com so that we can take a look?

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hi Vlado,

Thanks for your reply. I have sent an email to you with a link to download my scene.

Comment

Hi Vlado

Please let me know if you would like me to link to my scene also.

Cheers

Corey

Comment

Would it look exactly as it should if you switched the little srgb curve button off the frame buffer?

Comment

FYI - i am currently uploading my scene for ADSK team to review also..

Comment

Has this problem been solved in V-Ray Next ?

OakCorp Japan - Yuji Yamauchi
                  oakcorp.net
                  v-ray.jp

Comment

I am wondering about the outcome on this? We render PC in may projects and are looking to switching to V-Ray, but we need to have some control of how the PC renders.

Comment

https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...ointCloudColor
                      If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
                      Chaos

Comment

This worked for me. It is under the V-Ray Frame Buffer.

Comment

Working...
                        X