Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reduce noise vray mesh light

Hi,

We're regulary working with a light strip like the one here in the left top corner to base light the room.
    As we're using this accross dozens of appartments we've created a railclone style for this, in combination with a railclone dummy (just a 1 polygon) which has a vray mesh light applied on it.
    In this scene this light seems to be the least clean, so how would I get rid of this noise?

I've rendered a vray plane light next to the vray mesh light, in the last attachment you can see the vray light on the left, and the mesh light on the right.

Is this just the way vray works, so this vray mesh light will remain more noisy than the regular vray light.
    If this is the case and there's no solution for this, is it possible to generate a vray plane light based on the dimensions and orientation of the mesh elements via maxscript?

Thank you
    Pieter
    claar.be

Mesh lights have always been a tad worse to render than regular Vray Lights. As for how to solve your problem, a few different ways to tackle this. I just duplicate the RC or FP object, convert it to polys using the RC tools and use an object replacement script (soulburnscripts for instance) to replace them with a Vray plane light, keeping the position, orientation and scale of the lights.

Also: https://forum.itoosoft.com/forest-pr...5208/#msg15208 Don't know if it works with Railclone, I used it with FP a few times. He says it should work or you need to convert to FP first don't know: https://forum.itoosoft.com/other-fre...g5970/#msg5970
    A.

---------------------
    www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Hi Ashley,

Thank you for your reply, I'm using this script for forest as well.
      Haven't tried this for railclone yet, might be worth a try to get rid of this noise.

Pieter
      claar.be

Comment

Hi Chaos,

Any idea on when VrayMeshLights and VrayLightMtl will be worked on to reduce noise? They really are the easiest option to use when illuminating large interiors (like Pieter's scenario above), and using scripts etc to place VrayLights is a really long workaround. I also use FP and RC in every scene, which means that materials are the way to go. Although now that Forest Pack 7 includes scattering lights it will definitely help...however until it's out of Beta we are stuck with FP 6 for our commercial projects for now!

I'm using the latest version of Vray.

Chaos dev? Any news? Or do we just need to settle with grain?

Comment

Arbitrarily shaped lights (or materials) are *always* going to be less optimised.
          There is no software out there which works better with those, than with standard-shaped lights.

Now, being slower is one thing, being unusable well another: if you simply let V-Ray sample the scene enough, both mesh lights and light materials (at least in direct lighting mode) will clean up in very decent times.
          If you just stop sampling early, yes, mesh and materials will have converged less.

Last but not least, considering the above, it's still very much the case that the user has to do their utmost to simplify the meshes as much as possible.
          Selecting every emitting face in a whole building, making the lot a single mesh light, and trying to get quick rendertimes is overly optimistic.
          Separating the emitting areas, and simplifying the meshes, will take one a long way.

See the attached scene, rendered with default settings, and stopped *way earlier* than full convergence.
          Can you tell which cube has the emitting face as a lightMtl, which as a mesh light, and which as a planar light?
          Attached Files
          Lele
          Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
          ----------------------
          emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
          The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Working...
          X