Affect channels "affect mattes" option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Affect channels "affect mattes" option

our compositor is always cursing the fact that you cannot get multimattes to work with reflection and refraction, without using "affect all channels"

using "affect all channels" breaks the rebuilding of the beauty pass from the separate elements.

can we please have another option apart from

colour
    colour and alpha
    all channels

i want also "affect mattes"

this way we could get working multimattes without breaking everything else.

if there is another method i missed, i would love to m hear it.

Thanks for the suggestion. We already have this functionality request logged (internal bug-tracker id: VMAX-7851). I'll add yours as well.
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

hermit.crab

Has there been any progress with this issue?
      This bug has been around for years and I am quite surprised to find it in vray 5.

Cheers,
      Olly
      Last edited by olly; 08-03-2021, 01:29 PM. Reason: grammar
      Set V-Ray class properties en masse with the VMC script
      Follow me for script updates: @ollyspolys

Comment

olly Not quite yet. I'll add your request to the log as well.

Comment

Alexandar, did I get the 5.1 update vfb matte feature wrong? I thought we now would get render layers with matte/transparency INCLUDED (like saving renderlayers with cebas psd manager). for example "selected object" still renders the object on black background and i donĀ“t understand how to export the mattes created from multimatte in the new vfb. Do we still have to create each matte manually via "multimatte - color select - delete" in psd?????
          Matthias

Comment

digitarch Do you mean the VFB2 masks feature? Its intent is to be used in conjunction with color adjustments based on a given masking pass (multimattes, cryptomattes, render ids, etc.). I am not sure if I understand your concern, please clarify.
            PS. Using the multimatte's channels (r/g/b) in PS should produce a more accurate selection.

Comment

Aleksandar, example:
              when saving the rgb layer to png with alpha i get the rendered object with transparency ready to run where the environment or objects are set to affect alpha = -1
              I DONT need to render a multimatte, select color in photoshop, delete selection to isolate the rendered object for editing like color tune the rendered object in my psd composition
              even more important - when updating the scene in 3dsmax i have to MANUALLY update select delete ALL masks in photoshop!
              When rendering with vray and saving render layer using cebas psd manager i get any object WITH transparency saved - no manual mask updating.

I thought the new vfb2 mask feature would allow to automatically use a object/material matte to create the transparency mask when saving render layers....
              Matthias

Comment

I am not too familiar with psd manager to give a precise answer, however, from what you've said, it simply applies the alpha to the RGB image, which you can easily do in post prior to further editing.

Comment

Working...
                X