Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

vray lightmix: Light called "Rest" - what is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vray lightmix: Light called "Rest" - what is it?

Hello,
    short question,
    I'm testing lightmix in VFB (latest version vray5 in 3dsMax) and there is an extra light called "Rest".
    When I turn it on it gets darker.
    What exactly is this?

Thanks!
    Attached Files

Hello,

The Rest item in the light mix contains everything that doesn't go into any of the other categories - for example if you have lights that didn't go in any light mix or any other effects.

Best regards,
    Yavor
    Yavor Rubenov
    V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

The atmosphere effect also lands there.
      Bobby Parker
      www.bobby-parker.com
      e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
      phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
      • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
      • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
      • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Thanks, this was what I assumed, but I'M only wondering it makes the scene darker
        Maybe it has to do somehow with Environment map.... not sure.
        There is new vray pyhsical sun&sky and there is also environment ( enabled. But did understand the influences in detail (it's also not very important here, just general interesting to know).
        Last edited by BeneZ; 07-08-2020, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Hiya, I know I might be grave bumping but I still have some questions.

All of my lights are part of the light mix. But my "Rest" section of my Light Mix still shows tons of lighting information when I disable all the other lights/self illum/enviro etc.

This still leads me to want to understand, what is contributing that lighting information, is it the GI from the turned off lights that were once in the scene? When I turn off all the lights manually and re-render the scene stays dark, rather than having the same illumination reflected in the "Rest" section of the light mix when I instead uncheck all the lights there.

Would really love some clearer information here if ya'll got it. Thanks!

Comment

If all your lights are already part of the light mix then the rest channel should be pure black. Hard to say why this is not so in your case - can you share the scene ?
            Yavor Rubenov

Comment

Hey Yavor, I work with Shane! We'll probably have to strip down the scene of anything proprietary so we can get back to you on that.

In the meantime, I had a thought that maybe we could use a LPE to get the 'rest' of everything? I was playing around with it but was unable to quite reproduce the result we see in the LightMix.

Comment

hi there!
                was there any further progress on this?
                we just had a problem with a noisy scene and there was a lot of additional light info in the 'rest' channel on lightmix
                we narrowed it down to a colour correction that was wired into the opacity slot on some curtains in front of some windows.
                we swapped it out for a falloff and the channel went back to black
                when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - hunter s. thompson

Comment

just to add, there also seems to be info in the rest channel when using a matte shadow catcher

Comment

Having something in the Rest channel is not necessarily an issue.
                    Yavor Rubenov

Comment

Originally posted by yavor.rubenov View Post
                      Having something in the Rest channel is not necessarily an issue.
                      sure, but in the case with the curtains, it was that channel that was adding a lot of additional noise to the render and it took a while to figure out where it was coming from

Comment

Working...
                      X