Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does my output to PNG, JPG (whatever) look different to image in VFB ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does my output to PNG, JPG (whatever) look different to image in VFB ?

I'm sure this is basic stuff, but I've lived with it for a long time, but no more ! (I hope!).

I want to ensure that how my images look in VFB are baked into what I save out to jpg or png etc (I don't work too much these days in exr) - yet it seems all that effort I put in PP in the VFB is lost when I save it out to jpg or png.

I lose all that saturated, contrasty juicy goodness.....

If I look at the jpg / png in any application on my computer (eg Windows Explorer, Windows Photos, Google Chrome, Firefox, Photoshop etc etc) that jpg/png is low contrast and dull in comparison with what I'm seeing in the VFB.

Please help

Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Why saved out image never like that in VFB.jpg
Views:	1143
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	1107206
    Jez

------------------------------------
    3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3
    Windows 11 Pro 22H2 | NVidia Drivers 535.98 (Game Drivers)

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE
    ---- Updated 06/09/23 -------

The difference is most likely due to the limited color palette of 8-bit images. Try saving a .exr and see if the image is closer to what is seen in the VFB.
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Yes of course

I did think it was that, once I was away from my project

Color gamut.

Maybe that'd be something that could be added to the VFB - i..e a button to toggle on and off what is showing as the full color gamut and then a toggle button to show a preview of how this image will look in jpg/8-bit ?

(isn't that what that dropdown list at the bottom of the VFB is for ?)

Jez

3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE

Comment

Do you mean the None/HSV/Web/8bit options? These options simply switch the value display of a pixel's color depending on the system used.
        Last edited by hermit.crab; 15-03-2021, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aleksandar.hadzhiev View Post
          Do you mean the None/HSV/Web/8bit options? These options simply switch the value display of a pixel's color depending on the system used.
          Sorry, I don't understand, please could you elaborate ? Is it for a single pixel ? (say for use with the cursor position ?) Can you give an example where this feature is useful ? (Meanwhile I'll take a look at the docs so I understand better).

Originally posted by aleksandar.hadzhiev View Post
          We'll see if we can do something for an 8-bit preview, otherwise.
          That would be brilliant, thank you! Any step which saves exporting an image to view in another application would be a really great timesaver.
          Jez

Comment

start with changing your display correction layer to gamma 2.2 - I’m assuming you are saving with 2.2 through 3ds.
            this is why your blacks are more milky on the saved output. you are making corrections looking through one transform and saving through another.
            Marcin Piotrowski
            youtube

Comment

Originally posted by piotrus3333 View Post
              start with changing your display correction layer to gamma 2.2 - I’m assuming you are saving with 2.2 through 3ds.
              this is why your blacks are more milky on the saved output. you are making corrections looking through one transform and saving through another.
              Yay, that was it

Many thanks

Jez

Comment

Glad piotrus333 solved the issue. Pardon me for the confusion. The VFB already displays 8-bit colors, so there isn't a need for an option.

Comment

Working...
                X