Vray Decal Displacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Decal Displacement?

Does the vray decal object support displacement in this release? I can't seem to make it work at the moment.

Love the release thus far!

Also does it matter if the opacity mask in done thru the material opacity slot rather than the objects?

Comment

There will be displacement support in the future.

Masking through the decal itself works better for now, we'll make it the same for the mtl opacity when we get there If you insist using the mtl opacity, just switch the opacity mode to "clip" .
      If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
      Chaos

Comment

Awesome, thank you for the quick response!

Comment

Hello there,

Decals is a great improvement ! Though, is there any plane to make the "bend modifier" usable on it ? Would be a real game changer in my case. Otherwise I still have to use the old trick "create a plane+create a blend material" ...

Have a good day.

Comment

Originally posted by FranklinTre View Post
            Though, is there any plane to make the "bend modifier" usable on it ? Would be a real game changer in my case. Otherwise I still have to use the old trick "create a plane+create a blend material" ...
            What do you mean, deforming the gizmo?
            Lele
            Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
            ----------------------
            emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
            The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

I assume he means to be able to wrap the modifier around a tube using a bend?
              Website
              https://mangobeard.com/
              Behance
              https://www.behance.net/seandunderdale

Comment

We have plans to extend the set of gizmo shapes available, at least to a cylindrical one (which would work for bottles and the like).
                More shapes are being considered.
                Lele
                ----------------------

Disclaimer:
                The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Hello,

Well the decals is behaving like an object. I would like to modify this "object" to bend it.
                  Practical example : you have a road, you want to put some straight painted lines. Decals alow that, but if you want the decals to folow the turns of the road you can't. In this case I still have to use the trick to bend a plane used as a decals.

Is there any way to make it possible ?

Best regards.

Comment

That kind of usage is done with standard mapping.
                    The goal for this tool would be to easily add, say, drainage covers here or there on the road surface.
                    Lele
                    ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Well, it may be for manhole covers but it makes pretty quick work out of stuff that can take hours to UV properly for surface painting.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by lbpalm; 27-10-2021, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Would love the to test displacement if it every makes it to the nightlies!

Also I wonder if there is an option for decals to have a affect diffuse only, affect displacement only, affect normal only option.

Comment

Originally posted by AbeTJH View Post
                          Also I wonder if there is an option for decals to have a affect diffuse only, affect displacement only, affect normal only option.
                          We're thinking about this as well, but it will require a lot of work and maybe surface as a completely different feature.
                          If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
                          Chaos

Comment

I gotta say this is probably the most (for me at least) useful feature I've seen added in a long long time. Adding quick capping to walls, quick and dirty paintings/pictures to walls, adding very fast snow to an entire scene, road markings etc. So easy and so fast now.
                            James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
                            Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

Yeh this does seem like a scene building game changer. Id like to know if there are any scene and mem ory overheads when using more than a few of these. Does for example, 20+ of these in scene have an impact on how responsive things are? Firing up RT as an example.
                              Website
                              https://mangobeard.com/
                              Behance
                              https://www.behance.net/seandunderdale

Comment

Working...
                              X