Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fade an object, like on photoshop not the effect of animating the visibillity channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fade an object, like on photoshop not the effect of animating the visibillity channel

Hi,

I am looking for a way to fade objects, not the lookt that you get by animating the visibility channel but the look that you get when you make a layer transparent in photoshop. With the visibility channel the object gets transparent and it's possible to see whats inside the object but I want the effect that the object still is solid but fades so that what's behind is seen.

Isn't there a render effect that would do this? It would save so much time not having to bring in animations into post just to create this effect.
    Since Vray can render sections I would think there is a soloution to this witt Vray, or maybee in the future

Thanks,
    Roger
    Last edited by SEROOLOF; 26-11-2015, 08:29 AM. Reason: Wrong heading

That's probably something you want to do in post (after effects, nuke, premiere, etc). This way you do it exactly as in photoshop and you treat it like a seperate layer. Takes any amount of knowledge about compositing.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Yes we are doing it in post today. But usually it is the only thing we do in post so I really would like to be able to skip that extra step.

Roger,

Comment

You can simple animate the Visibility of an Object in the Objects Properties dialog in 3dsmax.
        Maxscript made easy....
        davewortley.wordpress.com
        Follow me here:
        facebook.com/MaxMadeEasy

If you don't MaxScript, then have a look at my blog and learn how easy and powerful it can be.

Comment

Originally posted by SEROOLOF View Post
          not the look that you get by animating the visibility channel
          Originally posted by Dave_Wortley View Post
          You can simple animate the Visibility of an Object in the Objects Properties dialog in 3dsmax.
          :P

Yeah, animated visibility looks like crap, with backfaces showing, not to mention terrible render times. I usually just render the "overlapping" frame ranges twice - with and without the object in question and corssfade those two in post. I doubt it can be done in-render.

Comment

I think I found a way to simulate that type of visibility which works pretty well for the actual object but the shadows still show the backside faces(if transparent).
            Here is a quick example(transparency from left to right: 0%, 50%, 80%):
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-15-12-28.png
Views:	1
Size:	436.5 KB
ID:	859069
            scene: http://ftp.chaosgroup.com/support/sc...sibility03.max

How it works:
            VRayOverrideMtl is able to replace a few properties of the material one of which is is Refractivity, this allows to assign a new shader to all the faces that are visible through Refraction.
            Using a fully transparent shader into that slot will make all the faces visible through Refraction to disappear, including the inside faces of the same object.
            The next thing that needs to be done is to set some Refraction of the base shader of VRayOverrideMtl and set its IOR to 1 - this setup will simulate transparency and it is important step since the OverrideMtl cannot replace the Transparency component.

Let me know if you have any questions.
            Last edited by svetlozar.draganov; 01-12-2015, 08:56 AM.
            Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
            Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Hi Svetlozar,

Could you please make available a Max 2014 version of this file?

Thanks,

-Alan

Comment

Here is the file: http://ftp.chaosgroup.com/support/ph...bility2014.max
                Zdravko Keremidchiev | chaos.com
                Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Thanks very much!

-Alan

Comment

That’s great, thanks. I hope it will work in RT too.
                    Olaf Bendfeldt
                    3D-Artist
                    dimension3+

Comment

Well that is a great trick! Visibility track sucks
                      https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

Hello,
                        I have downloaded the file It's working but the shader has no reflection. When we put the refraction down to 1.0, the reflection on the shader disapear.
                        Is it normal ?

Thank you
                        3LP Team

Comment

I just tried this and the reflection works fine, however I noticed that when the object is invisible its reflections are still there, superimposed on not only the ground plane but the background, which is transparent, as the attached shows.
                          I realise that you can't make out the appearance of the top of the teapot when transparent but believe me it's there It is its self reflection of the lid and its rim.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by fixeighted; 12-08-2019, 02:20 AM.

Comment

Can't you also animate the amount of reflection then?
                            A.

---------------------
                            www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Well the reflection is in the base material. The only thing driving the visibility is any vray material with refraction of 1.0 in the refraction channel.
                              Why the reflection remains is a mystery, as one would expect it to disappear along with the rest.

Comment

Working...
                              X