Subpixel mapping and denoiser for VR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subpixel mapping and denoiser for VR

Does anybody know if I should turn on subpixel mapping for a VR Cube 6x1?
    Did anyone tried to use the denoiser on a 6x1 render?
    It would be awesome if it worked, but somehow I suspect it will mess up the seams.

Does anybody know if I should turn on subpixel mapping for a VR Cube 6x1?
    If you want to remove any fireflies or white spots in the image then you can try to turn it on, but I would recommend to use its default state - off.
    Did anyone tried to use the denoiser on a 6x1 render?
    Hmm, just did a quick test and this combination (cube camera + denoiser) seems to work just fine.
    Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

I did a test too. The cube camera + denoiser leads to visible seams in 2 parts. Perhaps the denoiser was too strong. Other than that the denoised image was flawless when viewed through the Gear VR, as opposed to the normal version where te noise was extremely noticeable.

Comment

Actually I haven't done any tests with different denoiser settings or different type of scenes and there could be some cases where seams will be noticeable when viewed through VR devices. Can you try to add a little bit more sampling and then compare the results between the original image and denoised version?
        Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if it caused seams, any screen space operations seem to cause problems.

eg if you have an image filter on.
          WerT
          www.dvstudios.com.au

Comment

Right now I'm doing some tests with more samples but I can't get a clean enough image for the VR. Unless I use subpixel mapping and clamp the output which yields to a less attractive image in terms of lighting. I've tried the Salle Labrouste by Bertrand Benoit and it's flawless in terms of noise. Since i need to render 5 cube map stereo images I can't afford a render time of 12+ hours per image.... I'm running 5 machines (dual xeons 6c/12t). I'm still having trouble on getting clean images in vray 3.3 no matter what settings I use.

Comment

3.40 fixes some issues with subpixel mapping and noise due to the new sampling - have you tried it?

Best regards,
              Vlado
              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Subpixel mapping helps in getting a cleaner image, but "dumbs" the reflections/lighting/colors quite a bit. I just wrote to Bertrand Benoit asking about his settings in the VR version of Salle, but he told me that the whole settings/rendering was managed by Chaosgroup. Any chance I cold get a glimpse at the settings used to render those VR images from Chaosgroup Labs site?

Comment

Originally posted by king_max View Post
                  Any chance I cold get a glimpse at the settings used to render those VR images from Chaosgroup Labs site?
                  I will ask. It depends on what is your clamp value, I think...

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Output clamp or reinhard burn value ?

Comment

Working...
                    X