Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding vray light portals - obsolete technique with newer vray builds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding vray light portals - obsolete technique with newer vray builds?

Hi guys,

now with all the new sampling and changes to lights etc, will i actually benefit from using vray lights set to portal mode, especially when using vray HDRI map in vray dome light?

Thanks!
    M
    Martin
    http://www.pixelbox.cz

Done some tests and in RGB pass there is no change , however the sampling rate pass looks better.
    Wouldnt it be better to get rid of the skylight portal then?
    Martin

Comment

And to add to this, I noticed that when using light portals it's better to put the HDRI in the Environment slot in Max/Vray instead of a Dome light. The render just looked less noisy for the same amount of time. That's from a quick test I did. Maybe I should double check or just try yourself so please don't quote me on this.
      Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1 ( 6.20.06 )
      AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Comment

Originally posted by Alex_M View Post
        And to add to this, I noticed that when using light portals it's better to put the HDRI in the Environment slot in Max/Vray instead of a Dome light. The render just looked less noisy for the same amount of time. That's from a quick test I did. Maybe I should double check or just try yourself so please don't quote me on this.
        While this may work occasionally, it is not a rule and I would not recommend it. It may easily have come out way noisier, depending on how bright your HDR is.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

So whats the conclusion Vlado? Is it necessary to use them still or whats the benefit nowadays? Perhaps theyre only useful in some situations?
          Martin

Comment

Does that mean the portal will amplify any rays that hit it from behind, regardless of source? I thought it was only environment rays (based on wording of the help, which I may have misunderstood.)

Comment

Originally posted by Deflaminis View Post
              Does that mean the portal will amplify any rays that hit it from behind, regardless of source?
              That's the idea, generally. There are some issues when using portals together with a dome light though - the resulting illumination might not be entirely accurate. This is fixable and the fix is somewhere in a GIT branch in our code, but it's not in any release yet. Hopefully I will be able to finish it for 3.6. For the moment though, if you are using a dome light, then it would be better not to use portals at all.

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

That's interesting. Makes sense, thank you.

Comment

I never used portal lights in combination with dome, because of bad experience that stuck from mental ray, where combining IBL with portals causes more noise and worse quality. In V-Ray, I always thought that portals do not have importance sampling, so they come out very noisy when using high contrast HDRI. I had absolutely no idea you can combine portals with dome to get importance-sampled illumination from portals :O Why isn't this documented anywhere? :O

Comment

vlado,does the issues when using portals together with a dome light still exists? or is it safe to use it with 3.6?
                    Surrealismo
                    https://www.facebook.com/surrrealismo

Comment

Originally posted by leo.surrealismo View Post
                      vlado,does the issues when using portals together with a dome light still exists? or is it safe to use it with 3.6?
                      There are still issues. Which is partly why I want to get rid of them

Best regards,
                      Vlado

Comment

Well... Corona has quite good portal solution, which also works very well with HDRI environment lighting... so perhaps...

Comment

They are already working on exactly that, as far as I remember.
                          https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Working...
                          X