Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optimising Animation render

Hi folks,

I've got an animation setup to render, but the render times seem very long for what it is. See the images attached from the beginning of the anim, very basic isn't it. Yet the render time is 15min on my Intel? Core i7 5820K, 32GB and 20 mins on the render nodes. Rising to 27+min when the animation get's inside

The scene is setup with a Vray Sun and Sky, a vray ambient light inside set to Direct + GI, few other lights apart from the strip lights in the ceiling which are a Vray Light material. No fog.

The animation is setup with BF & LC, with pre-calculated LC as all the other methods seemed to cause flickering.

Bucket rendermode, max subdivs 8, Noise 0.01. Camera has DOF and motion blur on

There is 3D tree geometry reflected in the glass, but only half a dozen proxy tree's. Anima people are moving around inside, which is why I went for BF/LC

I've got VrayEtex and Denoiser in elements, but that's all.

Any tips on speeding this up please?

Or failing that, how to you light your large interior scenes? Omni's?
    Last edited by PGD; 20-02-2018, 05:44 AM.
    PGDesigns.co.uk

Number of tweaks could be done in order to save render time but it's important to know that decreasing render time usually means lower image quality.
    20-30 minutes per frame is not that slow render time by the way, especially with DOF and Motion Blur enabled.

In order to find out where you can save up some time try to break up the scene into separate parts, for example:
    1.Render the scene with GI enabled and disabled - the difference will give you the time that GI adds to the final render.
    2.Render Scene with and without Override material (Default VRayMtl) - this will show you how much time materials add to the final render.
    3.If there is displacement or subdivisions in the scene you can check how much is their contribution by disabling Displacement globally.
    4.Make sure Adaptive Lights is enabled and see how much time you can save by decreasing their number.
    5.Image Sampler is already too low but you may try to decrease it even further just in case.
    6.Try to limit the Override Depth to a lower number, same thing applies for Max Trasnp. Levels.
    7.Disable certain features for objects far away from the camera, you can disable Receive GI, reduce the number of Motion Blur samples and Subdivs multiplier etc.
    8.Decrease Adaptive amount and increase Noise Threshold in Global DMC.
    9.Try to balance the lighting a bit, there are lots of overbright areas which will affect render times negatively. Also, do you need that many lights on the ceiling?

Good luck and let me know if you need further assistance or if anything from the above tips helps you to reduce the render times up to acceptable level.
    Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
    Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

last two big commercial animations we did (think football stadium & shopping centre) we did at Noise threshold of 0.1, and used the denoiser element to smooth out the noise and it all worked a charm. 0.01 noise will be really kicking your ass tbh

Comment

Ah thanks for the Tip! i also have to do a 1000 Frame Animation and i also thought of denoiser.
        So ist BF/LC with pre calculation the way to go now?

Seeya Daniel
        Daniel Krassnig / http://www.vistral-3d-visualisierung.de/ / Architektur Visualisierungen

Comment

LC mode should be single frame for animation with moving objects.
          From File (precalculated) mode should be used only for fly-through animations.

So the correct approach is BF + LC (single frame).

Comment

Thanks.. i did animations with IC/LC with animation mode but since i read about using BF i will try this and of course denoiser is realllllyy a time safer. Frame Times should stay under 10 minutes with this.
            Daniel Krassnig / http://www.vistral-3d-visualisierung.de/ / Architektur Visualisierungen

Comment

Good luck!
              If additional assistance is needed, just let us know.

Comment

Excellent advice, thanks.

In the end I rendered without GI, and placed Omni lights to brighten up many areas like the old days.

At first I had the internal strip lights set to 20 and Compensate camera exposure Unchecked. I found changing that to 10 and checking Compensate camera exposure sped things up.
                Adaptive lights was set to 8 - should I go lower? There's 247 lights in the scene now (though at first the lighting was being done by the VrayLightMtl attached to the ceiling strip lights) Your right, there is too many lights in the ceiling, but the architects like it bright. I'll put fewer in next time.

I heard DOF and Motion Blur actually sped up rendering these days. I'm sure I tested this sometime ago too. But it does make the animation look smoother so it's worth having it on.

Regarding BF/LC and the LC Calculation, I was getting a lot of flickering when I used Single frame. Only when I went to Flythough did that clear up. But obviously any issue with that dissapeared when GI was switched off.

Thanks
                PGDesigns.co.uk

Comment

Hi guys!

Worked pretty good with BF/LC.. I had crasiest 0.1 Noise values on some shots because time was running out and denoiser worked.
                  hmm ok i should try switching of gi too. the stuff is finished and now i want to render it again without bugs and with better quality and no pressure.

What really totally made the sickest shotgun flickering was adaptive lights in my night scene.. Lanterns really killed it. without the time went up but the result was smooth. This night animation with moving trains and cars on a highway was really nasty and the killer was a forest pack detail lawn.. that fcker really made me cry for 3 days until i found out that it killed half of my ram )

best regards daniel

Comment

Thanks for the tips above guys, they really helped.

I'm still seeing a degree of flickr though. Any ideas how to improve this? Please follow the link below, I don't know how to embed the Video

Archive-Animation 01-03test by Phil Grayston, on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pgdesi...posted-public/

Settings:
                    BF & LC
                    Switched off DOF
                    Noise threshold 0.1
                    LC Single frame 1000 -
                    use camera path
                    Override depth set to 5 (default) set under Global switches
                    Adaptive lights 16
                    Max subdivs 12
                    Last edited by PGD; 16-05-2018, 05:38 AM.
                    PGDesigns.co.uk

Comment

Can we see the full settings, you may attach a preset of the render settings or send us an empty scene with them.
                      It looks like a LC issue. Can you render a few frames with BF+BF with region set to the area where flickering is the most, like this window:
                      http://ftp.chaosgroup.com/support/sc...7_16-40-19.jpg

If BF+BF gives smooth result we'll have to check LC settings.

Comment

often enough that sort of flicker in the window is just two surfaces really close to each other - (or duplicated)

Comment

Originally posted by Leeds3D View Post
                          often enough that sort of flicker in the window is just two surfaces really close to each other - (or duplicated)
                          Yes, agreed. I often run AO with VrayETex to help spot this at test render stage. As duplicate geometry withh show up black or darker.

The main culprit for a lot of the flickering came from non Vray materials in the scene. I go through the geometry changing this but I must have missed some small parts. Running the Vray Scene Converter sorted this.

We also saw rendering errors with the Anima people, but again the Vray Scene Converter sorted this, so it's worth running that after the Anima people have been imported.

I also opted to Pre-calc the LC with Flythough mode, then use from file.

After that the animation rendered very smooth - Denoiser is amazing!
                          PGDesigns.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                          X