V-Ray and Corona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-Ray and Corona

I am curious if V-Ray has learned anything yet from Corona and if anything made it into the next V-Ray? I am working on some interiors with long render times and I am always tempted to jump into Corona since the rumor on the street it is much faster for interiors (although it never seems to be the case when I try it).
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

It's not faster from my experience.
    James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
    Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

There are some cases where Corona is a bit faster, but it's generally not interior scenes. At the same time, there are equally many cases where V-Ray is faster. From my V-Ray Next experiments, I think that the currently even scale will tip in favor of V-Ray when the final version of Next is released. So if the rendering speed is what you are after, then waiting for Next version of V-Ray makes more sense than jumping to Corona. Corona is mostly faster when it comes to workflow, not rendertime.

Comment

Originally posted by LudvikKoutny View Post
        Corona is mostly faster when it comes to workflow, not rendertime.
        My thoughts exactly
        James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
        Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

Is Next useable in production? I?ve not tried it yet but I did try Corona today.
          Win10 x64, 3DS Max 2017 19.0, Vray 3.60.03
          Threadripper 1950x, 64GB RAM, Aurous Gaming 7 x399,

Comment

Originally posted by DPS View Post
            but I did try Corona today.
            I did exactly that recently. I played a bit with beta few years back but did not touch it since.
            How did you find it?
            I was curious about corona?s refractive shaders, dispersion etc and very quickly hit the wall of limited freedom in abandonning real world physics (needed IOR<1, abbe<10). I know it is the whole point of this engine but for me quite a deal breaker.
            Last edited by piotrus3333; 02-03-2018, 03:38 AM.
            Marcin Piotrowski
            youtube

Comment

Corona is mostly faster when it comes to workflow, not rendertime.
              don't mean to argue this point, as personal experiences may vary quite a bit, but for a while now I haven't bothered touching any setting with vray either. default settings and progressive, since version 3 came out, are perfectly adequate in almost any situation. workflow wise I don't find corona being more intuitive or faster. it might have been the case once, but I don't think it's still as valid a point as it used to be.

Comment

Whenever i have to work in Corona, for example to be able to setup the same material in Vray, i find it BIG HEADACHE to work with the LEVEL multiplie, the COLOR swatch and the TEXTURE percentage....feels like its activating something ugly in my brain. And i never managed to get the same result when trying to replicate complicated setups in Corona material. Thus, for me, working with Vray materials is a lot smoother and by far quicker.

I woudl be quite interested what this marriage brought apart from Chaos now owning 2 best rendering engines

Its clearly not the domelight...as Vlado said, they went their own way in the end.

I am not too keen on the way Vray is handling bump maps. Corona does this a lot better and so does Arnold. Its something that happens on the edge of directly lit surface and surface in shadow...the way the shadow transfers.

I am really looking forward to the day when i can use Corona materials in my scenes without having to reset everything but that seems to be very far by looking at the Betas.

Martin
                http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

I enjoy both engines, but for me the biggest draws to Corona are the lightmix interface and setup, the material preview and the material library...super handy when youre in a rush and quickly need rubber or something I dont have in my custom library. But being able to tweak lights right in the VFB is so great, and being able to bake those settings into the scene is even slicker.

The biggest draws to VRay are things like the clipper, non physical fakes, the new optix denoiser (love!) and better ram usage.

I am working on two projects right now and using Vray for one and Corona for the other...it is nice to have the option!

Comment

Originally posted by piotrus3333 View Post

How did you find it?
                    I like it but haven't formed a conclusion yet.
                    Win10 x64, 3DS Max 2017 19.0, Vray 3.60.03
                    Threadripper 1950x, 64GB RAM, Aurous Gaming 7 x399,

Comment

Originally posted by PIXELBOX_SRO View Post
                      Whenever i have to work in Corona, for example to be able to setup the same material in Vray, i find it BIG HEADACHE to work with the LEVEL multiplie, the COLOR swatch and the TEXTURE percentage....feels like its activating something ugly in my brain. And i never managed to get the same result when trying to replicate complicated setups in Corona material. Thus, for me, working with Vray materials is a lot smoother and by far quicker.
                      You can achieve nearly identical results with CoronaMTL and VrayMTL. First of all, the Color swatch and percentage are in V-Ray too, the only thing that's on top of that in Corona is Level multiplier for the material components. If you want to get 1:1 results to V-Ray, simply set all the Level values to 1.0 and completely ignore them. The rest of the material will then work exactly same as V-Ray. I don't know why would you assume that the level value needs to be touched/adjusted?
                      Last edited by LudvikKoutny; 06-03-2018, 02:46 AM.

Comment

I did exactly that recently. I played a bit with beta few years back but did not touch it since.
                        How did you find it?
                        I was curious about corona?s refractive shaders, dispersion etc and very quickly hit the wall of limited freedom in abandonning real world physics (needed IOR<1, abbe<10). I know it is the whole point of this engine but for me quite a deal breaker.
                        Sub-1 IOR works, just not in the UI. Simply plug a CoronaColor or any other map, which outputs constant value, and set the output multiplier of CoronaColor map to any 0 to 1 number and it will work.

Comment

Sub-1 IOR works, just not in the UI. Simply plug a CoronaColor or any other map, which outputs constant value, and set the output multiplier of CoronaColor map to any 0 to 1 number and it will work.
                          sure, color input works but engine treats IOR<1 as 1/IOR
                          Marcin Piotrowski
                          youtube

Comment

sure, color input works but engine treats IOR<1 as 1/IOR
                            Isn't that the way it should work? I assumed that's how it works in V-Ray too. For Fresnel IOR reflection, it makes Corona compatible with PBR metalness textures, and for Refraction IOR, it makes it possible to create things like underwater scenes, where it's assumed that the camera is already inside of water and looking at the water level from below.
                            Last edited by LudvikKoutny; 06-03-2018, 03:46 AM.

Comment

Isn't that the way it should work? I assumed that's how it works in V-Ray too
                              nothing wrong with 1 being the limit for Corona. no refracting material on this planet actually speeds up light passing through (IOR<1) but if for some reason you need purple part of light bend ?left? and cyan part bend ?right? on a single poligon refractive plane than you going to have more luck with VRay.
                              Last edited by piotrus3333; 06-03-2018, 06:12 AM. Reason: typo
                              Marcin Piotrowski
                              youtube

Comment

Working...
                              X