Picked up Boxx RenderPro 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked up Boxx RenderPro 2

Any tips on hooking this bad boy up? I don't have a network and right now I am wireless. I have a data port, but it isn't live and it isn't CAT5 or 6. I called an electrition 6 months ago and he said that he could still set me up, but I didn't follow through. Do I need a V-Ray license for it? How about Railclone and Forest Pack Pro? Hopefully, it'll allow me to keep the projects moving through my office.

Configuration
    DUAL XEON E5-2630v3 2.4GHz, 20MB cache, 8.00 QPI (Eight-Core) 32GB DDR4-2133 REG ECC (8 - 4GB DIMMS)
    240GB SSD SATA 6Gb/s
    Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Edition 64-Bit

Model Specifications
    Dual Intel Xeon E5-2600v3 Processors
    Supermicro X10DRT-L
    Intel C612 Chipset with QPI up to 9.60GT/S
    Up to 256GB DDR4 2133Mhz DIMM REG ECC
    1 x Intel i350 Dual-port Gigabit Ethernet Controller
    2 x SATA 6Gbps Ports
    3 x USB 2.0
    1 x PCIE x 16 Low Profile Slot
    1 x ASPEED AST2400 BMC
    1 x IPMI 2.0 (Intelligent Platform Management Interface v.2.0)
    1 x 350 Watt Power Supply

Physical Characteristics
    3.8" x 6.75" x 20" H x W x D
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

I'll probably need to add more ram, but that might cost a ton, at least it does when calculating it with BOXX. I am assuming I need the same sized sticks for each slot. My main workstation has 128, which I never even come close to needing; I am thinking 64GB.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

out of interest how much did you pay for it?

Comment

eBay for $2000. It's a year old and was used 20-30 times.
        Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

When you say you are wireless you mean you are connected to the internet wirelessly? it has nothing to do with machines communicating to each other. You need to have wired connection between them in order to have proper speed to transfer assets. You need a cat5 cable, or a crossover cable. You can either use a small switch or plug them directly from one machine to another via ethernet port. Once the other machine can be seen, you would have to access it and install all the software on it. I think for you all the configurations has to be identical between two machines in order for things to work. For the licenses most plugins allow for free network license for rendering. I would suggest reading about each one in their manuals.

Theoretically once everything is setup and same between two machines you can DR with it, or whatever it is you need.
          Dmitry Vinnik
          Silhouette Images Inc.
          ShowReel:
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
          https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

I think the BOXX Render Pro 2 has its own proprietary software to remote in, but I could be wrong. I'll have to order a crossover cable.
            Bobby Parker
            www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

does it run windows? if it does, you can install vnc on it and that is all you need. Your second pc needs to have IP. IP is assigned by the router or a switch on your network. Once it has IP you can use it. But first time you set it up you need to connect a monitor and user keyboard mouse to it I believe.
              Dmitry Vinnik
              Silhouette Images Inc.
              ShowReel:
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
              https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Yes, it has Windows 7 Pro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_H0IXDYCmU
                Bobby Parker
                www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
                  I think the BOXX Render Pro 2 has its own proprietary software to remote in, but I could be wrong. I'll have to order a crossover cable.
                  You won't need a crossover cable, the NIC will automatically make a standard cable into a crossover as necessary.

BOXX uses IPMI to allow remote management via ethernet. Think of it as VNC or Remote Desktop via hardware rather than software. The IPMI interface will have it's own IP address and is always available as long as it is plugged in (even if the machine is not booted). It's more robust than VNC or RD due to this but doesn't offer anything special, especially if it's only one machine and it is right next to you rather than in a sever closet somewhere. With IPMI you can essentially watch and use that computer from another PC just like you were right next to it (turn it off, turn it on, reboot, watch windows start, enter the BIOS, etc).

Lastly, you'll probably need a render node license for VRay, I think the workstation license only allows 1 render node and 1 GUI node and you woul dbe using the render node whener you are using the GUI - double check this.
                  Last edited by dlparisi; 02-03-2018, 01:33 PM.
                  www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Originally posted by dlparisi View Post

You won't need a crossover cable, the NIC will automatically make a standard cable into a crossover as necessary.

BOXX uses IPMI to allow remote management via ethernet. Think of it as VNC or Remote Desktop via hardware rather than software. The IPMI interface will have it's own IP address and is always available as long as it is plugged in (even if the machine is not booted). It's more robust than VNC or RD due to this but doesn't offer anything special, especially if it's only one machine and it is right next to you rather than in a sever closet somewhere. With IPMI you can essentially watch and use that computer from another PC just like you were right next to it (turn it off, turn it on, reboot, watch windows start, enter the BIOS, etc).

Lastly, you'll probably need a render node license for VRay, I think the workstation license only allows 1 render node and 1 GUI node and you woul dbe using the render node whener you are using the GUI - double check this.
                    I was seeing all kinds of prices for the crossover cable. From $300 to $8, so I ordered the 10' $8 cable. Since I don't have a network cable on hand, I'll just use this one.
                    Bobby Parker
                    www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

let us know what you think of it when you get it running, i've always wondered what Boxx did differently that justified their prices.
                      e: info@adriandenne.com
                      w: www.adriandenne.com

Comment

Originally posted by francomanko View Post
                        let us know what you think of it when you get it running, i've always wondered what Boxx did differently that justified their prices.
                        I will. I have been looking at BOXX for years, but never could justify the cost. Double the stock 16GB of RAM and they'll charge you grand; what RAM cost that much? All the parts for all these computers come from the same places, so I am not expecting anything amazing. I got it for 1/2 price and the form factor will work for me. It is a 1/4 of my workstations, so it might just help a little.
                        Bobby Parker
                        www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

base on processor it used, should be much slower than ur current workstation. ur boxx machine come with IPMI software? if just distribute render should be no need vray interface license, Railclone and Forest Pack Pro can just install as render node mode.
                          www.archcg.my

Comment

Yeah, I am assuming it'll help a little, but every little bit helps. New at $4300 is a bit insane, but I paid 1/2, so hopefully it'll pay for itself in no time. I'll no a benchmark when I get it up and running. Who knows, maybe the folks over at BOXX have some magic pixidust they use.
                            Bobby Parker
                            www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

yeah i costed an identical machine recently and it was half the cost they were charging...crazy..must be some reason..there again it reminds me of Silicon gfx back in the day.
                              e: info@adriandenne.com
                              w: www.adriandenne.com

Comment

Working...
                              X