Picked up Boxx RenderPro 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by glorybound View Post

For the initial setup, don't I need to see what is going on? How else would I set up the static IP and stuff?
    possible to ask seller about the IPMI IP address? when logging u need to know user name and password too(if seller changed it)

my supermicro render node just connect IPMI cable to router, then can find it on my computer(it default not using static IP, so IPMI IP will follow my router DHCP setting)
    Last edited by cmjohncheng; 12-03-2018, 10:32 PM.
    www.archcg.my

Comment

Isn't there an instruction manual you can download or ask Boxx for ?

Or how about this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_H0IXDYCmU

("renderPRO Setup Guide" by Boxx)
      Last edited by JezUK; 13-03-2018, 12:13 AM.
      Jez

------------------------------------
      3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3
      Windows 11 Pro 22H2 | NVidia Drivers 535.98 (Game Drivers)

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE
      ---- Updated 06/09/23 -------

Comment

Yes, I have all the manuals and I spoke to BOXX support, who said I need an older monitor, keyboard, and mouse for initial setup.
        Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com
        e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
        phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
        • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
        • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Yes, I have all the manuals and I spoke to BOXX support, who said I need an older monitor, keyboard, and mouse for initial setup.
          Oh man, that sucks.

If anyone else is interested, I found the parts that go into this sucker - the Mobo is a Supermicro X10DRT-H.
          Jez

------------------------------------
          3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3
          Windows 11 Pro 22H2 | NVidia Drivers 535.98 (Game Drivers)

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE
          ---- Updated 06/09/23 -------

Comment

Originally posted by JezUK View Post

Oh man, that sucks.

If anyone else is interested, I found the parts that go into this sucker - the Mobo is a Supermicro X10DRT-H.
            It was nice to get an email returned from BOXX support, even though I didn't buy direct from them, so that was refreshing.
            Bobby Parker
            www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Hi guys,
              I am also considering to buy a renderpro 2. My hardware knowledge is terrible, so sorry if I am asking dumb questions:
              1. I see that we can use it through ackburner. How about using it with distributed rendering?
              I want to be able to make my test renders faster. I dont have much trouble for my finals as I usually make them when I am sleeping but my workstation is pretty slow for test renders and I have to wait a lot.

2. Lets say I will have 40 cores on renderpro. And if I have one workstation vray license, how many more do I need to buy?

Wish you all a great weekend.
              for my blog and tutorials:
              www.alfasmyrna.com

Comment

You'll need a node license, I believe. I have yet to get mine working. I did have to unplug it because even at idle, the thing is so loud I couldn't handle it. I think I'll put mine in another room when I do actually get it running.
                Bobby Parker
                www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

You'll need a node license, I believe. I have yet to get mine working. I did have to unplug it because even at idle, the thing is so loud I couldn't handle it. I think I'll put mine in another room when I do actually get it running.
                  Thanks and any ideas if we can use it for DR, without using backburner?
                  for my blog and tutorials:
                  www.alfasmyrna.com

Comment

It's basically just another computer with a small form factor, so I don't see why not.
                    Bobby Parker
                    www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

re the price, I notice it has ECC RAM, so I'm wondering if that's where at least some of the exorbitant cost come from.

Remember to run V-ray Bench on it Bobby, it'd be interesting to see what kind of performance it actually gives.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard7666 View Post
                        re the price, I notice it has ECC RAM, so I'm wondering if that's where at least some of the exorbitant cost come from.

Remember to run V-ray Bench on it Bobby, it'd be interesting to see what kind of performance it actually gives.
                        I'll make a special effort to get it up and running this week.
                        Bobby Parker
                        www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I'll try to get this up and running this weekend and I'll do a benchmark. I have 128GB of ECC RAM in my main workstation, with 36 cores and my workstation and the BOXX new were about the same price. I don't think RAM is the biggest cost factor. I think the BOXX logo is 30% of the cost. Maybe, the custom form factor raises the price, too.
                          Bobby Parker
                          www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Anything using Xeon processors is going to be expensive and given that regular ram prices are fairly high at the moment, the fact you need ECC ram for that can cost you almost double at times. This is why I built a second threadripper its fast and cheaper than going with Xeons. I have always admired box tech as well and curious to your render box's performance when you get it up and running. congrats on the new power and hope it doesn't disappoint
                            Cheers,
                            -dave
                            ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

Man, you're making it sound too complicated! I've got a pair of RenderPros, and it's super simple to set up. Did you not get the Boxx software to setup the remote control and access? It's a simple interface to control the IPMI hardware - lets you log on and open a remote window, check on the sensors, etc. Yes, you need a new render node license to use DR. My office is pretty small, and so form factor was the major deciding factor. I do have an extra fan to pull off the extra heat, but the machines have never complained about the heat. I run them for days at a time and they are rock solid.

Comment

The issue I am having is networking it. I had an electrician out and he patched in a data cable, but it doesn't work. I tried connecting it straight to my workstation, but I wasn't getting anywhere. I have been working 12 hour days 7 days a week, so to tell you the truth, I haven't invested that much time. Yes, I did get the software.
                                Bobby Parker
                                www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                                • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X