No announcement yet.

56 Cores in ONE SYSTEM!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These guys are talking CPU vs. GPU and they fall on my side of the fence. GPU isn't ready for prime time unless you are willing to compromise on some things.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Pixar is making Renderman XPU, a hybrid render engine. looks promising.

I dont know much about rendering but, surly hybrid is at least what needs to be explored before going full GPU? - Trying to make it so you get the best of both worlds by getting the CPU and CPU work together.

I would like to see what the more clever CGI people think of the idea that a future version of V-Ray Advanced implemented some form Hybridisation with the GPU - I'm not talking about de-noising but actual rendering.

My last project nearly had me in tears....it was so hardcore rendering that shit and trying to make it look good. My computer crashed so many times. I will end up having to buy a proper computer instead of a car. I really need more power.
      Last edited by stevejjd; 20-03-2018, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by samuel_bubat View Post
        With current prices of GPUs I 'm not sure if GPU rendering is worth the costs. Especially taking the low memory of a GPU into account. For the 1300eur you pay at the moment for a single 1080ti you get a whole renderslave with an 8 core Rizen and 64gb Memory.

I'm not a big fan of the gazillion Core systems. They are way to expensive for the render power they provide. That 56 core machine will probabely be beyond 20k$. For the price you can get 12-13 ryzen 8 core renderslaves. That would be 104 cores at a much higher frequency.

There are only two scenarios where this makes sense to me. 4-8k video editing and fluid simulations. For anything else 3D related I would rather choose a combination of an 8 core workstation and renderslaves. Maybe when someone works with another software than max or maya, one that is fully multithreaded it may be different.
        but you can put more gfx cards into a single system, is your price comparison taking into account having to buy, motherboards, chasis, coolers etc not forgetting extra licenses for rendernodes ?
        e: info@adriandenne.com
        w: www.adriandenne.com

Comment

Originally posted by stevejjd View Post
          Pixar is making Renderman XPU, a hybrid render engine. looks promising.

I dont know much about rendering but, surly hybrid is at least what needs to be explored before going full GPU? - Trying to make it so you get the best of both worlds by getting the CPU and CPU work together.

I would like to see what the more clever CGI people think of the idea that a future version of V-Ray Advanced implemented some form Hybridisation with the GPU - I'm not talking about de-noising but actual rendering.

My last project nearly had me in tears....it was so hardcore rendering that shit and trying to make it look good. My computer crashed so many times. I will end up having to buy a proper computer instead of a car. I really need more power.
          Your always subject to your weakest link, so until GPU supports everything I do in CPU, I'll have to wait. Hybrid is only good if you are building your scene for the GPU render.
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com
          e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
          phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
          • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
          • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I don' t see it as GPU vs CPU. I like using both. GPU for fast previews with RT and CPU for production rendering. Unfortunately, thanks to the cryptominers the GPU prices are way to high at the moment. Also the lack of features supported with GPU and limited amount of Memory keeps me from using GPUs for production rendering. But I think this will change. Especially now that Nvidia announced a Raytracing Framework for Realtime engines we may see more optimized GPUs for raytracing in the future. I think both worlds realtime and non realtime rendering will become one in the future. This will most likely happen on the GPU. But taking into account all the nice features and GI Methods Vray offers for CPU rendering, we will stick to it for quite some time.

Comment

Working...
            X