Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Blend mtl with different displacement maps

Hey, Everyone!

I tried searching in the forum for answers but I didn't find a specific one, so I got to ask.

I've got the new quixel mixer and created some really nice surfaces from their scanned library.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cx73n1cv2j...oject.mp4?dl=0

However, this is just a 4x4 meter tile, and still there are visible repetition on a larger terrain. So I made a few different versions and I wanted to blend them in max using the vray blend blend material and a noise mask.

I figured that if you leave the texture field in the VrayDisplacementMod empty, and tell him to use the displacement texture from the material, it works great. (I didn't know that)

However, the surface were still not rendering quite right. So I did some experiments and I concluded that the displacement, the bump and maybe the normal maps are still used only from the base, and the coat materials are just... coat.

https://gyazo.com/c0b3dfb632e752fd93d8336e5c5029d6

If I use the sand for base, I don't have the displacement for the rocks. If I plug the rock as base, I have rocky displacement in the sand materials. At fist I thought it was a bug, but then I realized it is maybe how it is suppose to work?

So, the question is, am I right, or I'm missing something? And, what other method for correct blending of terrains comes to mind?

Cheers!

P.S>

It works great for blending photogrammetry assets with the ground though
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/bv3y6n7lim...blend.mp4?dl=0

P.P.S

And of course I tried to blend the textures first and then give it to the materials and it works! However, it is kinda limiting....

Dropbox is a free service that lets you bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and share them easily. Never email yourself a file again!
    Last edited by zpavlov; 21-03-2018, 04:55 AM.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_42344.jpg
Views:	3453
Size:	941.0 KB
ID:	988490

That's the result of blending the textures and using a single material.

Comment

this is unfortunately how it works. only one material can use displacement. you would have to create a new composited map to use for displacement.
      Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
      www.AddYourLight.com
      Always looking to learn, become better and serve better.

Comment

Yes, MANUEL_MOUSIOL is correct. Though, it's on our to-do list for a future update to implement blending of the displacement maps of the sub-materials in the VRayBlendMtl.
        Miroslav Ivanov
        Chaos Cosmos

Comment

This still appears to be an issue. Unfortunately I am also finding problems when using v-ray distance tex or vertex painting in the composited displacement map. Is there any know work around at the moment?

Thank you in advance for your help!
          Last edited by DeadLift315; 05-06-2019, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Would be great if the implementation of the feature could be bumped up. It's a terrible situation to be honest.
            Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
            www.AddYourLight.com

Comment

Another important issue:

displacement in materials is controlled by the settings in the render settings and there is no way to turn on "keep continuity", which is pretty important, don't you think?

With the fast GPU displacement I'm using it more and more but these issues give a lot of limitations and should be addressed asap, in my opinion.
              An overhaul of how displacement works in vray is long overdue.
              www.AddYourLight.com

Comment

I've just been pointed here, as I've just run into the issue myself. Using the new Quixel Bridge to populate scenes with complete material setup is such a neat thing, but the blending of complete Quixel materials isn't possible using VrayBlend node at present - so 1 object = 1 scanned material
                As displacement is an essential element of Quixel's ( and pretty much scanned workflows ) I think it would be beneficial for all if Chaos Group prioritises this area.

Comment

If the blend for the material can be extracted from the shader (ie. the shader blend is standard bitmaps), then it's going to work just fine if put into a displacement modifier.
                  It's not as easy as a port over, granted, but i can't think of many cases where it's a show-stopper.
                  If there are, could you show me one (ie. something that would only work with displacement inside a shader)?
                  I'm saying this as a workaround, of course. It'll all be much nicer when it'll work as intended from within the shader.

MANUEL_MOUSIOL you can add a displacement modifier to your geo, and set the options there. then tell it to use the material. "Keep Continuity" is on the modifier, regardless of where the displacement info come from. (for CPU.)
                  Lele
                  Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                  ----------------------
                  emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                  The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

As far as I know only one of those displacement maps is going to be used though. If you have a displacement map in all of the different blended materials, just one is going to be used, no?
                    www.AddYourLight.com

Comment

Originally posted by MANUEL_MOUSIOL View Post
                      As far as I know only one of those displacement maps is going to be used though. If you have a displacement map in all of the different blended materials, just one is going to be used, no?
                      From inside the shader, currently yes.

Lele
                      Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                      ----------------------
                      emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                      The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

would be more than helpful if chaosgroup would develop such a blend material where the displacement is piped trough. Unreal Engine is taking over.

Comment

It makes sense from a user's point of view anyway.
                          ​​​​​
                          www.AddYourLight.com

Comment

Any progress/workaround on this subject?
                            Best Regards

Tomek

Portfolio: http://dtown.pl/

Comment

I guess blending displacement still sucks? I just ran into this while trying to use distance maps to mask displacement between materials.

Seems to not work with blend material or compositemaps into a vray material =/

Comment

Working...
                              X